3. Tomorrow

Janice didn't have school today, because the school was busy feeding the spider wolves. So she had a long weekend with us. She slept on the futon in the office all night.
The next morning Carlos was making his coffee in the kitchen. I embraced him from behind, kissing his neck.
"Good morning, sweetheart." I mumbled.
"Good morning, Cece." He replied.
I love that man.
He pulled his slices of wheat and wheat byproduct free toast from the toaster, and spread on the invisible peach jam. I had gotten a box of Janice's favorite morning cereal.
She awoke and rolled into the kitchen.
"Good morning, Uncle Cecil and Uncle Carlos." She yawned.
"Morning, Janice." Carlos greeted. "I'm off to the lab in ten minutes, but I come home at noon on Saturdays. Since today is Saturday I'll be coming home early. Okay?"
"Okay." Janice confirmed.
She began digging into her cereal, looking for the prize advertised on the box. She found it! The prize was the feeling of an itch you cannot scratch. She was excited to have finally collected all eight everyday annoyances found in every wheat and wheat byproduct free cereal. I congratulated my niece for her success in cereal eating.
"Alright, I'm off to work." Carlos said, walking out the door. 
I kissed him on the cheek. Janice was still consuming her cereal. I walked back to the kitchen table and looked at the cereal. I was tempted to try it, but figured it wouldn't taste well with coffee. Yuck, broccoli and pavement flavored cereal. How do kids eat this garbage? I'll never know.
Janice sat in the living room texting her friends after breakfast. Oh, kids these days. With their texting, and their tweeting, and their concept inevitable of nothingness. How adorable!
We took a few pictures for snapchat, her's saying 'cool uncle vacation' and mine saying 'borrowing my sister's kid'. We made funny faces, it was all a good laugh. We always have fun.
I pulled out my old checker board and pieces. I told her that I was the top chess player in my school at her age. We played together and I allowed her to win the first game. I purposely messed up the ancient history trivia questions to help her get ahead. I may have also moved one of my pieces to Mount Rushmore on purpose.
Carlos arrived back home, as promised. I asked Janice if she'd like to go out to lunch and she said yes. I asked her where she'd like to go and she wanted it to be a surprise. I drove us over to my favorite restaurant in town. Tourniquet.
We had a lovely time. I ordered the crippling regret with a biscuit. Janice had the kids meal with macaroni and disappointment. Carlos just ordered a salad.