Chapter 5: The Gods

Dioptase's POV:

"There are newcomers, aren't there?" I asked one of the guards. "That came from a portal?"

He looked uncomfortable. "Yeah... there are."

"How many of them? What is their reason for coming here?" I had a million questions to ask.

"You'd have to ask someone else," the guard muttered, avoiding my gaze. "I don't know much. I think they went to the visitation center. They could be there still, although it's getting late."

I hurried past him and jogged through the endless corridors in the laboratory, making sure to stay away from any of the leaders. They'd become suspicious immediately the second they saw I was leaving the lab.

Taking one last look behind me to make sure I wasn't being followed, I pushed open the side door and entered the Galena visitation center. I approached the front desk, where the male twin was working. Malachai, his name was.

He looked up and gasped. "Dioptase? What are you doing outside of the laboratory?"

"I need to know about those visitors," I snapped, knowing that he would cave in to me. He was instructed to follow any orders from a higher being. "Who are they, and what do they need?"

Malachai thought for a second. "I don't know, but they came from the Ruxomar portal. They had Gaines with them, apparently. Do you remember Gaines?"

"Yes," I answered, recalling the time that a man had not only escaped Galena, but had escaped this realm altogether, a feat nobody understood. "I need to see them, now."

Malachai wrinkled his nose. "You? Why? That's the job of the leaders."

I let out an impatient sigh. "I need to know more about them, and the leaders seem to only be interested in Gaines. Now, tell me where they are. I'm a god! I'm supposed to help rule!"

The twin straightened suddenly, his eyes glazing over. "Gods are supposed to exist in theory only," he told me, reciting one of the ridiculous phrases the leaders liked to use.

I forced myself to stay calm. "Fine. If you won't tell me, then at least tell me what happened to Gaines."

Malachai seemed fine with telling me this. "He and the three gods went into the laboratory, probably to get their memories wiped."

I slammed my hands on the desk, making him jump. "GODS? THEY HAD GODS WITH THEM? WHO?"

"Their names were..." Malachai thought for a second, "Mianite, Ianite, and Dianite. Ruxomar's gods. They have no place here, so the leaders decided to get rid of them. But that's not a big deal, you shouldn't...."

He never got to finish his sentence, because I was already gone.

Dianite's POV:

I couldn't move. How did these people have so much strength that they could overwhelm a god? Three gods? It shouldn't have been possible, but these mortals seemed to do it with ease. I was filled with immense rage, but I didn't have anyone or anything to take it out on except myself.

"Are we just going to wipe all of their memories?" one of the people working at the lab asked a guard. "They might have information."

"Yes, you're right," the guard agreed, deep in thought. "But we can't risk Gaines escaping, and the information he has can be extracted through a machine. We can wipe his memory. The gods, on the other hand, will be asked questions. We might not wipe their memories at all, but instead limit their powers like we did to Dioptase.