Chapter 10: Safire's Mission

Dianite's POV:

"What makes you think you're going to be leaving the laboratory?" the man asked me, now furious that my alternate has escaped.

"It was an assumption," I answered calmly. "Because, from what I can tell, you do a lot of studies of other realms, which is how we were able to come here. I have a lot of information, especially about Ruxomar, that could prove incredibly useful to you and the other citizens of Galena. In fact, so does everyone else that came with us."

The man stared at me for a long time, tapping his foot, clearly trying to think of a way to prove me wrong. When he couldn't, he simply let out a long sigh. "Fine, Dianite. But this isn't a freebie. You see, by coming to Galena, you're going to have to follow our rules."

"What does that mean for me?" I asked, trying to act like I wasn't scared out of my mind.

"I'm going to have to remove the powers of all three of you," the man said, smiling at each of us. "Then, you'd be free to roam about the laboratory, and see the people you came with again. We don't allow people to have too much power here, you know?"

I nodded slowly. It made sense, but I had the feeling that my powers were going to be going to some other use, instead of being done away with. "What's my other option?"

The man raised an eyebrow. "You can remain as a hostage forever?"

"I think we'll go with the option of getting our powers removed," Ianite cut in.

The man's smile widened, a sight that made my stomach twist into a knot. "You've made the right choice."

Safire's POV:

Andor stood his ground, but the girl seemed to sense what I was about to do a second before I did it. I saw the flash of terror in her red eyes as I prepared to throw the sword, and we acted at the same time.

She grabbed onto Andor's arm and yanked it sharply, jumping away from the flying sword. The blade struck the wall right next to the boy's ear with an enormous thud and clattered to the ground. The two of them stared at the weapon in shock, but neither bothered to pick it up.

The girl was shaking. "I... I'm pressing the button." She ran toward Andor's side of the counter, desperate to reach the button that would alert the authorities.

"STOP!" I shrieked, suddenly panicked. "YOU'RE GOING TO DOOM GAINES, AND EVERYONE ELSE WHO YOU'VE TRAVELED HERE WITH!"

"How am I going to doom Gaines by saving him?" she demanded, her finger hovering over the controls.

"Do you actually think that Galena is going to want to help Gaines?" I snapped. "I need to take those memories. It's a part of the process of getting him back. If Galena has a hold on them, Gaines will be brainwashed and will forget everything he's done here, and in Ruxomar. His studies are too precious to lose, and we can't have Galena getting hold of them."

The urgency in my voice seemed to get to her. "Where would you be taking them?"

"First to Iolite, since she's the one supporting my mission. Then over to Zincite, where I have my own laboratory," I said. "Our full plan is to evacuate you two, everyone else you came with, and everyone who isn't brainwashed from Galena. Molybdenite is providing a home for everyone who has managed to escape the brainwashing."

Andor spoke up for the first time, still looking very pale from his near-death experience. "Alyssa, remember why Gaines said before we reached Anatase? He said that Molybdenite was good, that that's where he had wanted to end up originally."

"I know that," Alyssa growled. "I just don't trust her."

I shrugged, becoming impatient and worried that someone would arrive here any second. "I don't expect you to, not if you trust what Galena has to say about me. I just think that you should stick with your own judgment. Are you going to trust this terrible city over me? Over Iolite and Molybdenite?"

"We don't have a choice," Andor said quietly. He walked past Alyssa and pressed the button that opened the door next to me. I breathed a sigh of relief, now having an escape route in case anyone entered the visitation center.

Alyssa's expression had turned to one that I couldn't read. "So we should be helping you with your mission?"

"I'm not sure how you would help me by being here in Galena," I told her. "My mission is to get you out of here, and to either Chrysoberyl or Zincite."

"Are you saying that we should leave with you now?" Andor gasped.

I hadn't thought of bringing them now, but it wasn't a bad idea. "I suppose it would help me if you could come with me now, instead of later, with the others," I admitted. "But, I hope you realize, we are running out of time. We would have to leave now."

Alyssa looked extremely uneasy. "My dad is going to be worried sick. He's already doing badly..."

"We'll find a way to contact him," I assured her, although I wasn't entirely sure that that was something I was capable of. "Now let's go. Now."

The two of them stood completely still for a second, then climbed around the counter and followed me out of the visitation center.

I grinned on the way out, thinking about what Iolite would say when I returned with the capsule and two terrified kids.

I may post a second chapter today, but no promises. I've got hockey practice, and there's a new SU episode. That takes priority okay