Chapter 6: The Power of Machinery

Andor's POV:

Nothing is free in this world, especially not an apartment. Since none of us had money, we had to get jobs so we could pay to live in the complex. We were gathered up the next morning, and a man and a woman came to talk to us. They explained the different jobs in Galena, and said that we had to choose one based on our talents. The problem was that I didn't have any talents. 

The man did most of the talking and explaining. He seemed thrilled to introduce us to Galena, and he made all of us feel welcome and relaxed. The woman, who looked similar enough to him to be his sister, leaned against a wall behind him and barely spoke. 

"Galena is a city based around science and technology," the man told us, his light blue eyes enormous with excitement. "My sister here, Ambrosia, is amazing with machinery." He gestured to the woman behind him, who rolled her eyes at the compliment. "I, on the other hand, prefer jobs where I am more involved with the town itself. Some days I help clean, some days I help out in shops, and some days I organize events for the citizens. Oh, and I help out at the visitation center quite often. You've met Eris and Malachai, have you not?" His smile broadened as we nodded. "Awesome! They're great people, working with them is..."

Ambrosia cleared her throat. "You were doing well at first, Cypress, but now you've gotten off topic." She stepped forward and addressed us herself. "If you're familiar with machines or science of any sort, Galena could use your assistance, and I'd like you to come with me now. If you like the... odd jobs... you can go with Cypress."

A little less than half of us went with Ambrosia, including Mot, Sparklez, and Waglington. Everyone else, including Jericho, Tom, and Alyssa, stayed with Cypress. I wasn't very skilled with machines, and working small jobs was what I had done for most of my life back in Dagrun, so I stuck with Cypress as well. 

"Machines aren't your thing either?" Alyssa asked me, grinning as she walked up to me. 

I shook my head. "I did a lot of small jobs as a kid, so this seems like a much better fit for me. Also, maybe it's just me, but Ambrosia seems kind of strange."

Alyssa frowned, and turned to look back at her. What immediately stood out to me about Ambrosia was that she had one bright blue eye and one bright green eye, and that her long brown hair was streaked with red and orange highlights. I'd learned to not judge anyone by what they looked like, but, all the same, her leather jacket and ripped black jeans were making me nervous. 

"I think she looks awesome," Alyssa replied with a shrug, "but I can see what you mean. Although, if you're judging by her appearance, then wouldn't you be unnerved by Cypress's looks as well?"

The man who we were following was also wearing a leather jacket, but it didn't seem strange on him. Maybe the kind look in his eyes and the wide smile on his face made up for it. 

"He seems so friendly, though," I pointed out. "I don't feel nearly as nervous doing a job with him."

"That's true." Suddenly, a massive growl sounded from next to me, and Alyssa began to giggle. "Hey, Cypress?" she called. "I'm really interested in these jobs, but could we get breakfast first?"

Sparklez's POV:

Ambrosia nodded with satisfaction. "Eris told me that she elected three people to be leaders, and it's seems like I've got two of them. This will definitely work." 

I turned and smiled at Mot, but he didn't smile back. The poor guy was probably still suffering from losing Dianite, and the dark circles under his eyes told me it had kept him up most of the night. He looked paler than usually, and walked with his hands in his pockets.