Chapter 14: The Authorities are Alerted

Gaines's POV:

"Can you tell me more?" I begged the man in the lab coat. "I want to know what my name is, and what your name is, and what this place is called..."

"I don't have a lot of time," he grumbled, glancing at the silver clock mounted on the wall behind him. "And it would be a pain to tell you everything."

"Please?" I whined, flashing him an enormous smile. I had the feeling that if I was nice and happy, I would get what I wanted. 

"Fine," he sighed. "Your name is Gaines." Suddenly, his eyes widened. "Do you remember anything about..."

"I don't remember anything," I replied, which was true. "But I like the sound of my name. Gaines, Gaines, Gaines. What's your name?"

"Never mind what my name is." He turned and started to go through the door. "Wait here, okay? There will be a nice lady who will come in and tell you more. As long as you stay here, she'll give you more information." 

"Alright!" I sat down in a small leather chair, patiently waiting for the nice lady to arrive. The man left, closing the door behind him. It was silent, and dull just waiting around like this, but it would be worth it. I just kept telling myself, over and over again, that I was going to get answers when she came. And that my name was Gaines. 

I stayed there for quite a while, following the instructions given to me. But when I heard screams echoing from somewhere outside the room, followed by sirens, well, curiosity got the best of me. 

Safire's POV:

"You better run," the man working at the Chrysoberyl train station warned me. "You are Safire, aren't you? I can tell, even through that clever disguise of yours."

I gave him a twisted smile. "Smart man. Anyway, what about running? We've been running quite a while already."

"Galena knows what happened, and they know it's you," he said, letting out a long sigh. "These missions of yours are getting more and more dangerous. Any sign of you anywhere close to Galena, and you're as good as dead."

"They found out already?" I gasped. "And had time to alert you? They're getting better."

The man shrugged. "Malachai alerted the authorities instantly, and I get notified so that I have a chance of catching you." He grinned.

I laughed. "Yeah, because you, or anyone else at Chrysoberyl or Zincite, is going to do anything about me." I shook my head slowly, and then motioned for Alyssa and Andor to follow me. "Come on guys. We should get out of here in case they investigate the train stations."

I was perfectly calm, as this had become normal for me, but the terrified looks on their faces told me that they didn't share my feelings. 

Malachai's POV:

They kept gazing at my forehead, which I could tell was badly bruised. I felt blood trickling down my face, but there was something much more important at hand. Mot's face was incredibly pale, and he was tightly gripping onto alternate-Dioptase's arm. The god's mouth was wide open, his eyes blazing with anger and shock. 

"What do you mean she's gone?" Mot cried. He had an insane look in his eyes, as if he would either faint or charge at me the next second. I wasn't sure which I would prefer. 

"Don't take that the wrong way," I said quickly, although I was convinced that Safire had done something to the kids. "She could be perfectly fine, alerting a leader right now. She's just not with me, and neither is Andor. I have to find them."

"Cypress's entire group is missing," the god said, his deep voice almost a growl. "We don't know anything. And why are you hurt?"

I didn't say anything, rocking back and forth on my heels slowly. I didn't like the murderous gaze in alternate-Dioptase's eyes, nor the look of absolute madness in Mot's eyes. I felt incredibly uneasy, and my head ached beyond words. 

"TELL US!" Mot yelled, lunging forward slightly, but keeping a firm grip on the god. 

I took a few steps back, trying to keep myself from trembling. "You... you're going to... I don't know what you'll do to me!"

"Well, we need to know," the god said, in a slightly gentler voice. "Hurting you, in any way, would be beneficial to absolutely nobody." When I looked pointedly at Mot, he added, "I've got him. Please, continue. We need to know, for the sake of Alyssa and Andor."

"Safire, the most wanted criminal in all of Galena, showed up just now," I whispered, my voice strained. "She was disguised, and... I don't know what came over me... I fell for her words! I don't know..."

I expected Mot to be furious, but a look of sadness fell over him instead. "I understand, Malachai. What did she do?"

"Andor had access to the cameras, and discovered her identity very quickly," I continued, letting out a long sigh to keep myself calm. "But I didn't believe him, because, well... I don't know. But Safire was only after one thing, and that was Deviser Gaines's memories."

"And she got them, didn't she?" Now Mot looked insane again, and I wished that I could be anywhere but here. 

"Yes," I confessed, "unless Alyssa and Andor managed to take it from her after I blacked out."

"Why did you black out?" the god demanded. I noticed that he had taken one of Mot's hands and was gently rubbing it in an effort to calm him, but I dismissed it for the moment. 

"When she came back, I realized who she was, and she attacked me," I answered. "I don't remember anything else."

"WHAT'S GOING ON OUT HERE?" We all turned to see a guard running toward us, weapon extended. "WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU, MALACHAI?"

"Safire!" I yelled. "She got hold of Gaines's memories, and attacked..."

The guard didn't wait around, whirling around and vanishing into the laboratory almost immediately. We stood there, having no idea what to do, as the sky grew increasingly darker and darker. A few of the dim streetlights flickered to life, and I could hear my own rapid heartbeat over the horrible silence of the peaceful night. 

It wasn't long before sirens began to wail, and the sounds of people panicking erupted from somewhere deep inside the laboratory. I dizzily made my way over to a bench, and watched from half-closed eyelids as my world began to shake and collapse in front of me, chaos rising from every building. 

In the distance, Mot buried his face into alternate-Dioptase's shoulder, and the god hugged him tightly in return. 

It's pretty late and I almost forgot to get this up and I'm pretty tired but here y'all go. I'm going to sleep

OH and I fixed the problem of this story not showing up under search results, apparently in the settings my story's language was set to Turkish. I have absolutely no idea either

But yeah, if you ever have the same issue, remember to check the language your story is set as