12: When you're fifteen

"But mom, I can explain.. I uhmm.. we were just.." I stutter but my mother just points at the stairs. I turn around and start walking upstairs to my room.

I might be 18 but my mom still thinks I'm 12. Or well, 15..

When I'm all the way upstairs, I let myself fall onto my bed and start crying into the pillows.

Not again.. please..

I hear the door of my room opening after a while and look up to see who it is. My mom.

"Taylor, can you sit up?" She asks, sitting down on the corner of my bed. I wipe the remains of my tears away and sit up straight. My face must look all puffy and covered with mascara stripes but I dont care.

"Explain." My mother says, her eyes still angry.

"Well.. uhhmm.." I start.

"And don't even try to lie. Again." She says as if seeing right through me.

"Fine. I like her, mom." I spit out quickly.

"A lot." I add. I look my mom in her eyes and see the disappointment in her face.

She lets out a deep sigh. "Not again." I hear her mumble.

"I cant help it mom. I like girls and.. and boys.. sometimes.. You cant make me straight. Im just.. Im just me." I say, tears streaming down my face once more.

"I had just hoped it was a just a phase back in Nashville." My mom says, laying her hand on my knee now, as some kind of support, I guess.

"Well.. its not." I sob. My mom seems to relax and hugs me from the side. I can hear that she started crying too. We sit for a while, crying together on my bed, hugging each other.

"Im sorry." She says after a while. "I.. I was just a bit shocked, Taylor."

"Its okay." I say, not fully accepting her apology just yet.

"Does she like you too?" She asks after a while of silence. We let go of each other and see a small smile on her face. I smile back at her and nod.

"Yes, she does." I say softly. I cant help but to smile back at her.

"Good." She says. "I.. I wouldn't have liked to see any of that though, even if she was a.. he."

"Im sorry, mom." I say, looking down at my hands and starting to play with them. Its one of my nervous habits.

"Its okay Taylor. Just text me that you're coming home next time. I saw a car I didn't recognize and wanted to know who was standing there for so long." She explains.

"Yeah, I get that." I say, looking up at her again.

"I will tell this to your father and to Austin. Or do you want to tell them yourself?" She asks then.

"No.. uhmm yeah.. you can tell them. Just.. not tonight maybe?" I ask.

"Okay, sweetie." She says, pulling me into another hug.

"I still have to so some homework, mom." I say after a while, wanting her to let me go.

"Taylor, its ten o clock. Its time for bed. Im sure your teacher wont mind, you always have your homework finished." My mom says, smiling at me when she lets me go.

"Okay." I say, giving in.

"I love you, sweetie. No matter what okay. Just let me get used to this for a while, okay?" My mom says. I nod and say: "I love you too."

She walks out of my room and closes the door, leaving and my thoughts alone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------