The raven's stone

The bell rang, announcing the big break. Matilda was talking and talking, waving her hand. The girl had moved back next to Ferry and everything had turned back to normal between them. Each morning, she cheerfully chatted about the adventures of Shadow, her dog. About how intelligent he was and how he could understand almost everything she was saying. Matilda was sure the dog was trained. He knew how to bring her the shoes, the exact pair she asked. He barked when the food was burning on the stove and she could swear she saw him stirring the pot, holding the wooden spoon with his mouth. And most important of all, he was walking on two legs more often than he was walking on four.

"You have to see him, Ferry," she said. "He's the biggest climber I've ever seen. Even bigger than you."

But Ferry was not listening. He was nodding from time to time, but he was paying attention to something else. May was reading a book by the class's window. After many gray days, the sun was finally sending a few shy rays and one of them was playing in May's hair.

May was the daughter of Basil and Iris Flower. Her father was the owner of the only flower shop in town ─ Flower's Flowers. The flower shop was situated on the first floor while the family lived on the second floor of the house. It was the prettiest house in town. Or at least that's what Ferry thought. There were flowers at every window: shamrocks, geraniums, African violets. The outside walls were covered with climbing roses and morning glories, the most colorful, sweet-smelling wallpaper in the world. It was like finding the land of the fairies, and May was their queen. Always smiling. Always kind and warm, spreading warmth around her.

That morning, though, she didn't seem like herself. She was trying to smile, as she usually did, but something was shadowing her smile. Then Ferry realized what troubled her. Biology was next and Miss Summer had given each student a special assignment ─ they had to plant seeds in a pot and then take care of the plant until it was blooming. African violets, petunias, ferns, geraniums were now sitting by the window, waiting to be presented in front of the class. Ferry had a big azalea, the most beautiful of them all. Only May's plant didn't seem to have grown much. It was a begonia with only a few frail leaves, which would have fallen eventually at the first breath of wind. The girl was vainly trying to hide it, but sooner or later, she knew she had to show it in front of the whole class.

"You know, my mum talks to her flowers and that really helps them grow..."

It was the first time Ferry talked to May. The little girl's big, brown eyes studied him, and Ferry felt it was hot in the classroom all of a sudden.

"I've tried everything," she said in a low voice. "I've watered them and kept them away from cold... I've even used some special treatment my father uses to help plants grow. What a disgrace!" she sobbed. "The florist's daughter has the ugliest flower..."

"Can I take a look?" Ferry asked her. "My mom loves gardening and I've learned a few things from her."

The girl gave him the little pot and Ferry observed the flower closely. Then, pretending to take a better look, he whispered to the flower, his lips touching the leaves, "You'd better bloom! Or else, I will look for the worst weed and plant it in the same pot."

Then he gave the flower back to May, who noticed that her flower didn't look that bad anymore. Even the leaves seemed to cheer up a little.

"You see? I told you. You should talk to the plant," said Ferry. May smiled back at him with all her heart. The whole scene didn't go unnoticed by Billy Pride, who was watching them from the opposite corner.

When the Biology class started, May had the most beautiful flower of all.

"Do you like May?"