Chapter 1: Madame Claudia's Shoe Emporium

"Genevieve!" The shrill voice awoke Genevieve Glass from her slumber. Madame Claudia must have been calling for her, once again. When Genevieve's eyes opened, she realized that she was lying on her worktable, and not her lumpy bed upstairs.

"Yes Madame?" Genevieve returned hoarsely, rubbing her right cheek which had been imprinted with the swirls of the bench.

"The shop opens in three minutes! Can't you get yourself started in time, you lazy girl! I've supported you for seven years now- it was you're mother's dying wish, you know -and this is how you repay me? Ungrateful, that's what you are! Get to work!" The large woman loomed over Genevieve, her face turning more red with every word in her daily speech.

"Yes, Madame." Genevieve nodded meekly, her eyes shifting to the floor in submission. She stood and curtsied to her employer, before heading back to her projects.

One day, I'll get out of here.

The thought of freedom gave Genevieve hope, that she could get out of this shoe shop and make progress in her life. At least that's what her parents had taught her, to be the better person and always strive to help others. She wondered what Madame Claudia would say to that, the thought of her top shoemaker picking up and leaving to have a better life.

She would probably laugh in Genevieve's face.

Laura, Genevieve's mother was good friends with Madame Claudia. Genevieve's father had died five years prior to Laura's illness. In her dying breaths, Laura pleaded for Madame Claudia to take care of her daughter until she could fully support herself. Of course, she took "taking care of" to a whole new level. At the age of 10, Genevieve would begin the start of her working at Madame Claudia's Shoe Emporium, the worst seven years of her life.

Drawing her thoughts back to the present, Genevieve began to carve the wooden shoes that would be the base design for Order #1 of the day. She had obviously fallen asleep the night before trying to start, but couldn't keep her eyes open long enough to actually work.

Genevieve spent her day in the workshop, all alone. Madame Claudia and her daughter, Penelope, ran the main store. Originally there had been other workers, but when Genny had developed a talent for crafting footwear Madame Claudia let everyone else go. In her words, "Why pay for workers, when I can get one for free?" So Genevieve worked alone all day, often staying up long after Madame Claudia and Penelope retired.

"New order!" Penelope's sour tone rang through the workshop, as she poked her head inside the door and set a note on the constantly growing pile. Every time Genevieve finished a special order, she would box it up and place it with the others for delivery on Fridays. Jeff was a sweet old man who Genevieve would help load the supply wagon with crates of shoes. Then Jeff would take those shoes to their respective owners. It may have sounded like a long process, but Genevieve was truly talented and could work very quickly.

Genevieve turned her tired eyes to the pile, and with a shake of her head tried to slip back into work. She succeeded, and hours ticked by. By the end of the day, Genevieve had completed the order she started the night before, and carried the delicate pair of black slippers to their crate. After she covered them in packaging, she crossed the silent workshop to pick up the next order. Genevieve inspected the style this customer wanted, but was jerked out of her thoughts by a knocking.

Who would knock at this hour?

The thought made Genevieve wary as she entered the main shop. The walls were a dusty blue and had elegant white shelves stacked with shoes upon the walls. There was one window on the front of the shop, and one on the door. Both at the time were covered by curtains, but the main window when uncovered showcased the best shoes for sale.

The knocking sounded again, fast but very quiet. Genevieve pulled the window on the door's curtains back slowly, her eyes widening a little.

She let the curtain fall and opened the door, and was met with a smiling face of an older woman. This wasn't what surprised Genevieve so, it was the emblem on the woman's cloak.

The Royal seal..

"Hello. I am looking to place a custom order for my mistress." The woman said politely, as she stepped in the doorway.

"Of course. I'll get you a form, miss." The thought of surprise wore off quickly, and now curiosity was eating at Genevieve. She stepped into the workshop and grabbed a stray order form, handing it to the woman along with a quill pen.

Within five minutes, Genevieve was passed the now filled-out form. The woman gave her one last smile before scurrying out of the shop and into the dark night once more.

Looking down at the paper in her hands, Genevieve quickly skimmed over the words. However, when she found the name of the order and the reason to order a lightbulb lit up in Genevieve's mind.

Name of orderee: Princess Selena of Coronbough
Reason for order: The upcoming ball in the Castle of Coronbough

The gears twisted in her mind as she thought of presenting the Princess with the best shoes she had ever made. Finally, the day when she would leave Madame Claudia and her shop had come for Genevieve.

It was time to get started.