Chapter 18

Do I love Kyle? That was what I thought about while I was sleeping. He's been good to me for most of the time. What about Max? Why do I have to guys to choose from? It's been almost a month since I've seen Max. What if he forgot about me?

I slowly wake up to Kyle and the doctor's voice. The doctor was holding some crutches. Kyle is still in the place he was when he left me. He noticed me moving and sits us up in the bed. The doctor hands me a clipboard to sign I sign and hand it back to him. He leans the crutches against the wall and turns to leave, but before he could leave I ask, "Do you know where a little girl named Sara is?"

He says, "Yes, I'll have a nurse fit you for the crutches and show you to her room. He goes onto his beeper and calls a nurse. It takes about five minutes for the nurse to come. She walks in, and immediately grabs the crutches and tells me to stand up. Kyle basically lifts me like a doll and holds me up. The nurse fits the crutches in swift movements. She asks if the feel ok and when I respond with a yes she says, "follow me".

We go through a bunch of hallways which are really tiring. The whole time Kyle has his hand on my back to keep me up. The cast I was wearing was a lot heavier than I would've imagined. It goes all the way up my leg just a few inches from my hips and it was so hot in there. My leg was already sweating. The woman finally stops walking and motions into a room. I look in and there is Sara lying on the bed with her eyes closed. She looks so frail with the bruises on her hands and legs. I walk in and she opens her eyes. She looks old but frail at the same time.

"Hey", she says.

"How are you feeling?" I ask cautiously. The nurse says to me she needs to talk to me out in the hallway.

I agree and once were in the hallway, she starts talking. "In the crash Sara got a bunch of bruises and had a hard time eating food for a while because of her broken ribs. The doctor said she will be able to leave in a couple of days and maybe sooner if she is able to eat food and keep it down. I didn't want to tell her so she doesn't get scared. You're her mother right?"

"No, no, no. Were just friends. She's twelve and I'm only twenty", I tell her.

"Well where's her mother?", She asks.

"She's sick in another hospital in Florida".

"Ok", she says sympathetically. She motions for me to follow her back into the room. I go over to the bed and tell Sara she is going to be alright. I can tell she is sad and longing for her mother. I want to ask her the questions but she is too sick and need to rest so we can see her mom. She grabs my hand and falls asleep. I look back at Kyle and his face is priceless. He looks so genuinely happy looking at Sara and I.