Chapter 4 - Twin

After a few minutes of listening to Ed Sheeran stop the silence from swallowing us, my gasp filled the air. We were passing by rows of houses, no-mansions. It was nothing like I have ever seen before. I mean, we were sort of rich, but not this rich.

We stopped by a large house and I felt my jaw drop.

“It’s because we’re a big family,” I heard Diana say. Then I realize that this was their house. And I was looking at her with so much amazement. “Transfer to the front, Amy. Ethan hates being alone,”

“I-“ I was supposed to say I can walk from here but I just couldn’t say no to Diana. I meekly gathered my things and sat in front, next to Ethan.

“Hey man! Where are you going?” I heard David’s voice. I saw his car going up the driveway. He was leaning over from the window, evidently shouting at Ethan.

“I’ll be back,” Ethan shouted back. He looked at Diana who was already walking up the pathway and sighed. He waved at David and drove off.

“So, where do you live again?” Ethan said, breaking off the silence between us. We were exiting the elite village and turning back to the highway.

“Just up at 6th street. Thank you,” I said.

“You’re the girl from before, aren’t you? The one David splattered puddle water on,” he asked.

“I-“

“Sorry. David’s sorry too. We didn’t know there was a puddle,” he said seriously.

“It’s alright,” I said not mentioning the fact that they ruined my clothes.

“Please don’t tell Diana,” he said after a while. “She’ll get mad at us. Especially since it was you.”

“Why?” I looked at him questioningly.

“It- just because. But please. Would you just forgive us and not tell her?” he turned and I was staring into his beautiful green eyes.

“I won’t,” I said turning away from him to hide my blush.

“Thanks. So where’s your house again?” I pointed to our humble little house.

“Have a good day,” Ethan said, giving me a small smile. My heart skipped a beat.

As I got off, I mumbled, “Thanks,” just before he drove away.

----ooo---- Back in the Grey residence ----ooo----

“Yana, where’s my camera?” David called from his room. He marched off to his sister’s room and found her lying on the floor. “What are you doing there?” he asked.

“Nothing,” she said while looking up at the ceiling.

“You don’t do ‘nothing’ Yana,” he retorted back. He walked towards his sister and laid down beside her.

“What’s wrong?” he asked, looking up at the ceiling.

“I don’t know Ibid,” she closed her eyes and turned towards her twin, flinging her arms on his neck.

“Did you and Ethan fight?” he asked, holding his twin’s arm.

“No we didn’t.”

“Lucy?”

David sensed Diana hesitate before answering, “No.”

“What happened?”

“It’s just that I overheard her talking to Amy back in class,” she paused, burying her face in her brother’s shoulders. “She told Amy she doesn’t belong with us,”

“Yan, you know Lucy doesn’t like being with the other cheerleaders. Maybe that’s what she was talking about,”

“No. I know that. But I have this feeling that I’m losing my best friend,” she said.

“I thought I was your best friend,” David joked earning himself a smack in the chest. “Yana, you aren’t losing Lucy,” he continued.

“Yea. But I feel like I’m losing myself. I feel like I’m becoming one of them,” she said.

“Is that why you helped that girl back in school? To show Lucy you were still the same girl from before?” he asked.

“Her name’s Amy and I helped her because she needed help,” she said, separating herself from David.

“And?”

“And to show Lucy my brain wasn’t turning into cheerleader brain,”

“Cheerleader brain, huh?” they heard Sam talking from the door. “What kind of brain is that?”

“You know. Make-up and boys and clothes,” Diana answered.

“And sex,” David added earning a kick from Sam when she approached them.

“Yan, you aren’t going to get cheerleader brain. Not with your head full of algebra equations,” Sam said, sitting down beside David. She slapped David on the chest and said, “We cheerleaders don’t think about sex. The jocks do,”

“So you’re admitting you have cheerleader brain,” David said, making his twin laugh.

“Oh little brother, don’t forget I’m older than you,” Sam threatened him. She stood up and said, “Plus, if I have cheerleader brain, then I wouldn’t be participating in that international conference in New York, would I?” She ran before David managed to grab ahold of a pillow and throw it to her face.

“Must she always rub it in that she’s going to New York and I’m not?” David said angrily.

“It’s not her fault you’re grounded, Ibid. Don’t worry, I’m not going to New York too, remember?”

“Yeah. But it’s because you turned down the offer. I, on the other hand, was exposed to unjust decisions by Mom,”

“Well you should’ve thought of that before you went home drunk and the car dented,”

“Huh,” David scoffed. “It still is unfair. I worked hard for that contest.”

After a while, Diana nudged him and said, “I hear Ethan’s car.”

“Yana?” David said as he got up, “What’s the real reason you helped her?”

When she didn’t answer, David turned to go.

“Ibid?” Diana asked before he got out of the door. She sat up and looked out the window.

“Yeah?”

She wiped at her tears before turning to look at her twin, “Because she looked like Allison. That’s why I helped her,”