Chapter 8 - The Greys

“Waters!” I heard David call me. He was standing by the door with Ethan.

I didn’t mind correcting him this time. He just doesn’t change. “Yeah?”

“We’ll be by the field. Tell Lucy to hurry up, will you?” he yelled before running off.

I sighed. Ever since the teachers evaluated me to be adjusting well a few weeks ago, I was forced to join a club. But because I didn’t really want to attract attention, I joined the newspaper club. And even though they don’t really send me out to interview people and cover events and stuff, I didn’t knew it was too much work.

I never knew we had to do all sorts of things. Back in Adams, you just have to strut in your cheerleading uniform and look all school spirit and the job’s done. You’d be scoring As in extracurricular activities. I didn’t need to put much effort on doing it either. I never had the brains for this, I thought as I walked towards the Gazette’s headquarters.

When we were finally done picking the articles to go to that month’s newsletter, it was already dark outside. Lucy and I was walking towards the soccer field when I got a text from my mom, “I’ll be home late. Sorry honey.” I sighed as I read it. Guess its microwave food for me again.

“What’s wrong?” Lucy asked.

“My mom’s coming home late tonight,” I sighed again.

“Oh. Microwave food?” she chuckled. I nodded at her. I told them once that I have no idea how to cook.

“Well maybe you can come with us,” Lucy said as we approached the field. “I’m going to Yana’s later. We have to finish editing the layout for the newspaper. Maybe you can help.”

I grunted, “Work again? I think I’ll pass.”

“It’ll be fun!” Lucy laughed at me. “It’s always fun at the Greys. You’ve been there before, right?”

“We just pass by it whenever Diana and Ethan offer me a ride home. I never really got inside,”

“Well I think they wouldn’t mind. Aunt Kate and Uncle Elliot are the best,” she said as she pulled me towards Diana and the others.

Diana was sitting at the bleachers with Ethan and I felt a pang of jealousy. I have no idea why I was attracted to the guy. But every time Ethan smiles at me, my heart stops. Whenever he offers me a ride home (his house was near the gates to their village, which was near my street), my lungs stop breathing. Whenever he talks to me, my world spins a thousand times slower, wanting to savor every moment of it. And when he laughs, oh that melodic laugh, I melt on the spot.

But I saw how Ethan looks at Diana. It was different. From how he looks at me. From how he looks at Lucy. And the way he worried for her, I just couldn’t help feeling envious.

When we approached, it was only then did I realize that Diana was singing. She was belting out a perfect rendition of “Love on Top” by Beyonce.

“Fine, you win this time. But I bet you can’t go an octave higher than that,” Ethan chuckled.

“I can too. Krispy Kreme?” Diana said, smirking at Ethan.

Ethan seemed to ponder at it for a moment before saying, “You’ve had too much sweets, Yana.”

“I don’t care- Oh hey! You’re here!” Diana said as she finally noticed us.

“Oh finally!” I heard David’s voice from somewhere. When I looked around, I found out he was lying on the bench beside Diana. He sat up and said, “I was getting tired of Yana’s screeching.”