Chapter 11 - Accident

I grumbled my way down to the kitchen the next morning. My head ached and I don’t even have an idea how I got home. The last time I remembered, the band’s lead vocalist was coming my way and I was batting my eyelashes at him.

When I arrived at school the next morning, I was surprised to see Diana coming out from David’s car. I thought she and Ethan were okay already, I thought.

“Morning Amy,” Diana said as she walked towards me. She enveloped me in her arms and said, “Thank you for last night.”

“No prob,” I said. I looked back at David who had a grim look on his face. He was climbing out of the car angrily.

“David please,” I heard Diana say.

“No Yana. He had enough. And if you are not going to say it, I will,” he said as he stormed off towards the building.

“I’ll see you inside Amy,” Diana said quickly before running after her brother.

When I went inside, the whole hallway was chaotic. When I finally found out what was going on, it was already a little too late. As the crowd let me through, what I saw in the middle of the hall stunned me.

Nate and David were aiming their fists at each other. Boys were pulling on them from behind. Sam and Diana were in the middle, trying to control the situation. Lucy was talking to David, both hands on his chest, trying to push him back. I noticed both Nate and David had a bloody lip.

The crowd dispersed when Sam successfully pushed back Nate and he stormed off to who knows where. When I got to them, Lucy was still cooing things to David and these seemed to calm him down. The jocks behind them looked troubled and kept on asking what just happened and where Ethan was. Diana joined Lucy in talking to David and both of them managed to push David towards the Gazette headquarters.

The sibling fight that morning was all everybody ever talked about. When I saw them again at class, Diana was holding David’s hand. Lucy sat beside me looking troubled. I wanted to ask her what happened but decided against it.

I was sitting with them during lunchtime when I saw Mrs. Grey walking towards our table. Everybody’s eyes were on her and her long legs showing from under her pencil skirt.

She sat down beside Diana and said, “Okay. Tell me what the hell happened and why I have two idiotic sons.”

“Hey mom,” Diana said meekly. Lucy and I mumbled our greetings. Nobody was really talking since the moment we sat down.

“David, why didn’t you just punch him at home? It would have saved you guys all the trouble,” Aunt Kate said. “Now both of you are grounded and are going to go in detention and I have no idea why.”

When David didn’t answer, Aunt Kate turned to Diana, “Yana, darling?”

Diana was about to speak up when Lucy interrupted her, “Aunt Kate, I’m terribly sorry. This is all my fault.”

“Lucy,” David suddenly said. He was looking at her sadly, “It wasn’t your fault.” He turned to his mother and said, “I’ll tell you later mom.”

“Honey, would you please tell me now?” Aunt Kate said patiently. “I don’t want this issue to proceed any further.”

“We almost got into an accident last night,” Lucy said suddenly. All eyes were on her. “Nate was driving. He was with Michelle. They picked me up from the road. A truck almost hit us but he swerved just in time,” Lucy explained quickly.

I could see David clenching his fist on the table. Lucy glanced at him and tapped him on the leg.

“I’m sorry Aunt Kate. This was all my fault,” Lucy added.