Chapter 10 - Drunk

“Walter!” someone from one of the tables shouted at me.

A guy approached and put his arms around my shoulders, “Hey Amy. I didn’t think I’d see you here.”

“Hey John,” I said getting a waft of his smell: cologne, sweat and alcohol. “Go away. I’m looking for somebody.”

“It’s Mark,” he said.

“Mark, yeah. Sorry,” I said taking his hands off my shoulder and craning my neck, looking for Ethan.

“Who are you looking for darling?” the waitress appeared in front of me.

“Darcy!” I screamed.

She gave me a tight hug before giving me a once over, “Who are you now? Mother Mary?” she laughed. I remembered I was still wearing my uniform.

“It’s my uniform. Hey Dar, have you seen-“

“A tall, handsome guy, probably waiting for a hot sexy girl like you? Here I am darling,” a tall guy approached from my side.

“Hey John. Go away. I wasn’t looking for you,” I said to him.

“Everyone’s John for you, Walter. Too bad you don’t recognize me anymore,” he said, grinning at me.

“I do,” I said. “I just don’t remember your name,” I smiled at him.

He leaned in and whispered in my ear, “It’s John. So I was thinking-”

I chuckled and gave him my brightest smile then abruptly turned back to Darcy, “So Dar, he’s about this tall-“

“He’s by the bar, honey. Been there since this afternoon. Watch out for the waterfalls,” Darcy said to me.

“Thanks Darcy!” I hugged her one last time before turning to the bar, leaving John behind.

Ethan was there. But he wasn’t alone. A girl with clothes barely covering her body was talking, no, flirting with him. I can tell by the way she leaned in on him.

I approached from Ethan’s side and sat down on the stool next to him.

“Hey,” I said casually. He turned to me and said, “Amy. Heeeeeeyyyyy.”

“What are you doing here Ethan?” I asked patiently.

“I just wanted a drink, Amy. Do you want one too?” he grinned at me. His breath reeks of beer.

“No and you better quit drinking that. You have no idea what Bob puts in his beer,” I said.

“Uh, who are you?” the girl beside Ethan asked.

“Hey darling, I thought you took my presence as your cue to leave. I didn’t think you’d still be here,” I smiled at the girl. “Scram,” I said, looking at her pointedly.

The girl didn’t look threatened but she went away.

Ethan laughed beside me, “Oh Walter. I didn’t know you bite.”

“Used to,” I said timidly. I took his arm and said, “Come on. Let’s get you home.”

“Walter, go away. I don’t need you here,” he said shaking off my hand.

“You need to go home Ethan. You’ve been drinking for hours,” I said.

“Why’d you have to come and look like her Walter?” he said suddenly.

“Like who?”

“Her,” he paused. After a while, he chuckled, “She’ll always be her excuse.”