Chapter 4

Dark shades of blues, maroon, and black shadows fluttered all over his vision. He felt his eyes moving rapidly from side to side. A soft yet dreadful scent of salty air suddenly came to mind as Sebastian's eyes opened slowly. An uncomfortable pressure pressed into his temples as he looked around, disoriented by the bright white room he was now in. Sebastian groaned painfully from the migraine he had as he lifted his head. He heard the door of the room open followed by a soft gasp.

"Stewart, he's awake! Get the doctor, quick! Oh thank God," the voice of his mother cracked.

Frances went to the side of the bed and got a hold of his hands. Sebastian looked around, blinking constantly as he realized he was in a hospital room.

"Honey, how do you feel?"

"Groggy ... weak, very weak," Sebastian muttered and laid his head back on the pillow.

Just then the door opened again and he didn't bother to look up, for he knew it was his father who had returned with the doctor. Sebastian closed his eyes and licked his lips.

"Look whose back," the doctor said in a friendly tone. "You've been in coma for two days now. We almost lost you there."

At the mention of those last words Sebastian snapped his eyes open and raised his head again, suddenly becoming very dizzy.

"Whoa, slow down," the doctor pushed him back against the pillow gently. "You suffered quite a blow to your head. Avoid making any sudden movements."

"Heaven," Sebastian muttered weakly, "Where is she? She ... she fell ..."

"Honey," Frances said to him softly, a look of sadness filling her face.

Sebastian stared at her, hoping that what he was thinking wouldn't be true. He'd seen her fall over and fall into the ocean. It sent a cold chill down his spine. "What? Talk!"

"Son," Stewart cleared his throat uncomfortably and even he looked sad about what he was about to say to his son, "Heaven disappeared. She hasn't been found and authorities think she may have drowned."

Sebastian gaped as his breath caught and his eyes filled with tears. His bottom lip quivered as he felt a painstaking cut open across his heart. He squeezed his eyes shut and shook his head, wishing this all to be a horrible nightmare. He balled up his fist and brought them up to his eyes.

"No, no, no, no, NO!" He shouted as he sobbed. "She's can't be dead. SHE CAN'T!"

Frances burst into tears and put her arms around her son. "Oh honey, I'm so sorry. I know how painful this must be for you."

Sebastian would have fought her off – after all, she, along with his father, had been opposed of their relationship. But he didn't have the strength to fight now; all he wanted was comfort, to have hope.

He wanted Heaven back.

"She has to be alive," he sobbed as Frances cried along with him, cradling him in her arms.

* * *

A hush silence fell through the Winter's mansion. In the foyer the only sound heard was the ticking of the grandfather clock that stood near by the grand staircase. Inside the living room, Christina, Estelle, and Arthur were sitting in silence. They'd just gotten a call from the rescue team that were in charge of searching for Heaven and reported that there had been no luck.

"It's like the ocean just swallowed her right up," Christina choked.

Estelle put an arm around her sister and brought her close to her. "Christina, I'm so sorry about everything. I know there are no right words that will bring you any comfort right now, but we have to have faith."