Chapter 1

My head felt hot as I continued down the street. I looked around. I didn't recognize where I was. The air around me was hot and stuffy. My mind wandered as I stepped over piles of rubble and debris. I thought I was on the west side of town. But I wasn't sure where exactly I was.
I looked at the scrawled out directions again. I looked around me to see if I could find any landmarks. The crinkled up paper said that I would be nearing a collapsed statue, and that's when I would know that I was close. I looked across the street and saw the statue. I quietly walked over, looking around me nervously. When I got over there, I examined the paper again. I shoved the parchment back on my pocket and eyed the bench right next to the statue. My heart skipped a beat. This is it. I walked over to the bench and knocked on the wood quietly. I looked around. Nothing moved. Not a tumbleweed in sight. I knocked on the wood with more force. The sound echoed off of the surrounding buildings. I listened for any sound. I heard a creak behind me. I turned around. Standing in the only building that seemed to be intact was a thin, old, and wiry man with wrinkled skin.
He had a beard that went down to his torso. He was short. Maybe 5'3, and he carried a cane by his side. I swallowed my gathering saliva. The old man looked at me. He smiled at me with his pink gums.
"I know what you're here for." I looked at the old man with a confused expression.
"How do you know? I've never met you in my life."
The man laughed. "I am the soul seeker. I know what you have come for," the old man opened the door a little wider. "Come in, come in. I won't bite. I don't have any teeth. He showed me his slimy gums. I grimaced. This was the man that everyone said can solve your problems?
"I think I've come to the wrong place." I turned to leave.
"Christina, you don't need to leave just yet," the old man stared at me
intently. "I will help you." I sighed. My heart hammered in my chest. I slowly started to walk over to the old man. I had no idea what I had gotten myself into.