Chapter 23 - Forgiveness

My mom always tells me: There is no relationship more pure than that of yours with your mother, father, and siblings. She says there's no one out there, not one friend, not one cousin, not one aunt, not one uncle that loves you quite as much as your very own family does. So treasure what you have. No matter how close you get to everyone else, don't forget the relationships you may take for granted each and every day. Treasure your mother. Appreciate your father. Even challenge yourself to hold your siblings close, tell them how much you love them. Because through thick and thin, smooth and rough, they will be the ones truly there for you.

* * *

"Mommy?"

The little girl impatiently tugged at the hem of her mother's dress. Her wide hazel eyes held an unbelievable amount of irritation for whichever client was on the other end of her mother's call. It was supposed to be their day. It was movie night, but like always, her mother couldn't keep her hands off of her cell phone for longer than a minute.

"Mr. Fulton, I can assure you--" The young woman was cut off once again by the persistent man and, more aggravated than ever, placed a hand on her forehead. She helped herself to a few deep breaths and rubbed her temple.

"Mom, come on," the six year old all but begged, her small hands fidgeting nervously. She didn't want to anger her mother, but she was also sure of how the night would turn out. Her mother would completely disregard their movie night. She would completely disregard her only daughter. No one could blame the child for trying so hard, striving for her mother's attention.

"Honey, don't be rude. You can see I'm on the phone, whatever it is can wait," the mother whispered harshly down at her daughter. She covered the cell phone as she spoke, making sure that the important client on the other end couldn't hear a word.

The toddler stomped angrily, earning herself another disapproving glare.

"Sorry about that Mr. Fulton," the woman continued into the device. She began pacing the room, her confident and formal tone ringing throughout the giant house.

"No, no please continue. Right now? No, I'm not busy at all," she didn't bother to offer her daughter another glance before darting unhesitatingly out of the room, her tall heels clacking the whole way out.

The little girl slumped against the wall. She tore off the bow that rested perfectly on her head and threw it across the room. She was never her mom's first priority. She was never loved as a child should be. Tears unwillingly sprung into her eyes, worsening her already aching heart. She felt unloved. Unwanted.

She brought her knees up to her chest and laid her head down, staring right into the big eyes of her all-time favorite teddy bear-- and best friend.

"You won't leave me, will you? Mommy always leaves me," she croaked through her hoarse voice. She sniffed loudly and hugged her bear close to her chest. A few minutes were spent like that. With the child pondering her mother's actions, and her own feelings. She finally looked down at her teddy bear once again and rubbed eyes clean of tears.

"Good, because I'll never leave you, either."

An innocent smile took over her lips as she hugged her stuffed animal close, closer than her own mother had ever held her.

The startling sound of glass shattering disrupted my slumber. I had always been a light sleeper, so it wasn't surprising when the horrifying noise made me jolt awake. My breathing was wavering and heart beat meteoric as I brought my knees up to my chest. It was the same dream. The same one I'd had several times ever since I was young.