Chapter Three

I finally reached the altar. Mom gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek before taking a seat her table. Jenn and Giselle had lined up on the right while John and Claude were at the left.

Dum du dum dum.
Dum du dum dum.
Dum du dum dum,
Du du dummm...

The orchestra ended its symphony in a sweet yet low tone. I had no idea what they were playing but it definitely wasn't the traditional bride-walks-down-the-aisle melody. Probably some old song that Mom liked.

I'd been looking down ever since I saw Clifford. I gave my black rose bouquet to Jenn as I saw, from my downward gaze, Clifford offering his hands. I took them and instantly felt his heat rush in, causing goosebumps on my arms.

I noticed how well my hands fit into his, like they were designed for the sole purpose of filling up the nooks and crannies in his. His palms weren't exactly rough but a bit firm. He pulled me little a closer to him so that our arms were bent now.

"Skylar.." he whispered, rubbing the back of my hand with the pad of his thumb, prompting me to look up at him.

Hearing my name from his lips, even in a whisper, never failed to make me giddy. His way of saying it was just..different from everyone else's. While everyone else just pronounced it as Skylaah, from his tongue it rolled off as Skylaar. That added with his insanely sexy, deep manly voice was like an instant drug-induced high for me.

I gently lifted my head up to meet his eyes. His eyes brightened even more, while his smile opened up to reveal his perfect set of pearlie whites, with the canines sticking out a little.

"You look stunning," he continued in a hushed voice. I smiled at him but quickly averted my gaze. "Don't look away from me," he said, furrowing his brow slightly.
"I want see you."

I met his eyes again and nodded, too flustered to say anything. He squeezed my hands and turned his attention to Pastor Ron who was commencing the ceremony.

"Beloved family and friends, we have gathered here today, at this lovely venue, to celebrate the union of two hearts in love. The union of Clifford Royce and Skylar Eve..."

The pastor went on with his well rehearsed speech whilst I zoned out and just stared at Clifford. Even though he was looking at and listening to the pastor, I knew that he was aware of my stare because, ever so often, he would sneak a peek at me from the corners of his eyes and have a slight smirk on his lips.

Cocky little bastard! Well, he had every right to be with that handsome face of his.

He leaned in a little closer, still watching Pastor Ron, and said in a low voice, "When I said don't look away, I didn't mean stare."

My eyes widened as I looked over to see John stifle a laugh from behind a chuckling Clifford, while the tips of the pastor's lips curled up and a smile could be heard in his voice.

Fine, then! I won't look at him at all now!

With the embarrassment transforming into rebellion, I tried my best to focus on the pastor's words, but nothing was really making sense in my mind. I kept drifting off, thinking about the man who had his fingers intertwined with mine, just like the first time we'd met...