Chapter Five

My head swayed side to side as Clifford climbed the stairs and entered his lavish house with me over his left shoulder. As the stone pavement turned into bright white tiles, I tried to look up and survey the house but gravity made my head feel heavy.

"Cliff...you can put me down now! I wanna take a look around the house."

"Fine," he huffed and landed me on my feet facing him. I immediately put my hands on my head in an attempt to set my hair which was now a mess. Clifford just shoved his hands in his pockets and chuckled at my pouting. "Skylar, your hair's fine."

I stuck my tongue out at him, earning an even louder chuckle from him, and continued to set my waves in place.

Somewhat satisfied with my hair, I finally looked around the vicinity and the first thing that caught my eye was the beautifully shaped stairway. The smooth, stone steps with white railings formed a wave shape leading up to the other floors. Just behind the stairway was one of the many floor to ceiling windows I'd seen from outside and used to determine the number of floors. In the space right of the stairway, was a classic black piano, with a black bench to it, simply waiting to be played by skilled fingers.

I turned around and noticed the living area on the left of the large room. The light grey walls from outside had continued to the inside. A long black leather couch with matching single seaters, and a glass coffee table arranged before a very modern looking fireplace. A giant flat screen TV was on the wall just above it.

A step up on the right side of the room, was a more formal setup of three black lounge chairs on either side of a similar glass table with a silver ornament in the middle. The floor of both sides of the room were covered by a fluffy and soft looking rug except for a portion in the middle that formed a sort of path towards door that probably led to the kitchen or dining room.

I could see small golden ornaments and a few picture frames placed here and there but apart from that the room had minimalist decor.

"Not bad, huh?" Clifford asked nonchalantly from behind me.

"Not bad? This is way better than just not bad! Who would've thought that such a beautiful house lay in these thick isolated woods."

"Yes well, we Royces need our privacy, don't we Mrs Royce?" he smirked.

"Yes, Mr Royce," I said turning around and lacing my arms around his neck.

"Come on, let's go upstairs."

Cliff led us up the stairs and as we passed the second floor, I noticed that the height of the room had reduced slightly, but was still considerably big. Though it was more like a hallway with two sets of white French doors directly opposite each other and a rectangular, sandy brown cushioned bench on the glass door balcony at the far end.

I wonder what's inside two doors?

"This is Mom and Dad's floor," Clifford partially clarified my question. "The next one is Claude and Giselle's and the top one is ours, right before the terrace."

Wow! A floor each..damn!

We passed another floor with the same setup to reach ours which, again, had the same exteriors.

"Well..this is our room," Cliff said, sounding unsure and opening up the french doors on the left. He stepped inside and moved to the side to let me in, eyeing me carefully as I strolled past him and into the amazing room.

The light grey paint turned into plain white on all the walls except for the one opposite the bed. That one had thick black street or tribal art of some sort on it. There was a graffiti wolf in the middle with wavy lines stretching out to the edges is the wall.