Chapter One

I woke up on my wedding day to the sound of chaotic hustle and bustle downstairs. I could clearly picture the scene taking place below.

My sister and my mother hectically trying to check things off their checklist - which they would never actually do because they always managed to nitpick tiny flaws in everything.

My brother in law, John, running after all the kids, his two sons Leo and James included. Aunt Bessie, who'd insisted on staying with us two weeks in advance to help with the preparations, hounding all the servers to make sure they were dressed properly and the caterers to make sure they'd cooked delicious and sufficient food.

I was still sleepy so I just tossed in bed to savour the few moments of lazed silence I would have before I would be awoken to join the chaos.

Sadly that would not happen because just as I'd readjusted myself on the bed, I heard an excited knock on my door. Without waiting for permission, Jenn flung the door open and began bouncing on my bed.

"Wake up, Sis! You can't be late on your own wedding day!" she said, moving swiftly to split apart the thick beige curtains.

I grunted loudly and covered my face with a pillow.

"Oh come now, darling!" I heard my mother's voice as she too without permission entered my room. "You shouldn't be lethargic today. You should be active and running around like a bridezilla trying to micromanage everything!"

I pulled the pillow off of my face and sat up. "I think you've got that covered, Mom," I chuckled while Jenn burst with laughter.

"Well forgive me for caring about my first-born's wedding," Mom frowned.

"Mom, it's not about you today, it's about Sis. Don't go all panicky on her big day," Jenn said after wiping her wet eyes.

Now it was Mom's turn to get wet...well her eyes, I mean.

"Oh I'm sorry, honey! It's just that..I'm so happy you're finally getting married!"

"Mom..if you're happy then why are you crying?" I asked, hugging her from the side whilst she sat on the edge of my bed.

"These are happy tears, sweety. I know your husband-to-be will take good care of you and treat you well your entire life. That's why I'm entrusting him with one of my precious gems."

"You're so sappy sometimes, Mom," Jenn chuckled.

"And you're so cynical sometimes, Jenn."

We all started laughing and bound together in a warm group hug.

                  * * * * * *

After Mom and Jenn left me in solace, I freshened up and skipped downstairs in my pink floral pyjamas to get some breakfast, well lunch actually, considering it was noon.

The house was empty inside because everyone was in the backyard setting up the altar, decorations, tables and chairs.

A total of eighty guests had been invited, forty from each side. I'd asked for a simple outdoor wedding with only close family and friends, and although my mother had disagreed at first -being one to love grandeur-, she came around at the persuasion of Mrs Royce, my mother in law to be.

However, she refused to be deterred from having a classic, Black & White theme for the wedding. All the men would be dressed in black and the women in white. The decorations were to be in the same theme. I didn't really love the idea but decided to not fight mother on it as it would get me nowhere.

Once I'd finished my bowl of Fruit Loops and milk, I went outside to see how everything was going. I walked the trail the led up to the gazebo, which would serve as the altar, and took in every inch of the backyard.

The stone path had a continuous line of white roses on either side that ended at the entrance of the gazebo with a small bouquet. The gazebo itself was lined with white roses and fresh green leaves on its roof and white led lights ready to be flicked on once the hue turned dark.

The tables had been covered with black tablecloths and white rose centrepieces surrounded by tea light candles, while the chairs were laced with white fabric and black ribbons in the middle. There were candles and lights everywhere, just waiting to be brought to life.

I had to hand it to my mother; she'd done a great job, well, more or less because she was just screaming out the specs to all the workers right now, but still, she'd planned everything to perfection.

After yelling at the guy setting up the sound system, Mom noticed me and walked over to my side.

"So, what do you think?" she said gesturing with her hand to the now fully decorated backyard.

"I love it, Mom. You've done a great job. Everything's simple just like I wanted, yet glamorous and classy, just like you wanted."

"Yes! That way we're both happy." She put a hand around my shoulders and rubbed my arm. "I'm glad you like it, honey. Like Jenn said, it's your big day and you should have everything to your liking. Oh, I can't believe you're getting married today! Once the night is over, it'll just be me and Bella all alone in this big ole house."

Bella was our ten year old shaggy white dog that we'd adopted when I was seventeen.

"Mom, don't say that. I'll always come visit you and be here every Sunday for the family get-together," I said, hugging my sobbing mother.

"Sure, you say that now but once you're married to that chunk of hunk of yours, you'll forget all about your poor mother and her Sunday get-togethers."

I laughed loudly. "Well, I think my chunk of hunk," I said air-quoting the phrase, "will insist more than me on paying my poor mother dearest a visit."

"I know he will. He's the sensible one in your relationship," she chuckled and gave me a kiss on the cheek, shooing me away to my room to start getting ready.

I hurried to my bedroom ready to be pampered. I threw myself flat on the bed and stared at the picture of me and my husband to be, smiling brightly as we stood in front of nature's beauty during fall. We'd gone for a walk in a park near his apartment. He loved nature and had insisted we take a picture near the little creek that was beautifully accented by the orange leafed trees.

I smiled like a fool thinking about him. I'd only known him for four months now but I was already in love with him. How was that even possible? How had a pessimist like me let myself fall so easily? I guess that was the effect he had. The sincerity, the charm, the jaw-dropping good looks, the gentleman behaviour, just the everything he had, made me fall for him.

I was ready. I wouldn't get cold feet like I thought I would because I knew that waiting for me, down that aisle, would be the man I loved without reason...