Chapter 23

23

The Rust Bucket rumbled down the winding road and I whipped out my cell phone from the console between the driver’s seat and shotgun. Steering the SUV with my elbows, I texted Zaria, telling her I would be at the gates in a few minutes, and then dialing my mom’s number, to tell her where I was off to.

I was glad when the call went straight to voicemail and I was greeted by my mother’s cheery voice, telling me to leave my contact number and a brief message.

“Hey mom,” I said, pressing my head onto my shoulder so the phone would not slip out and my hands could return to the steer. “Um, I’m going to Zaria’s house for a slumber party, so I won’t be there when you get in. Call me back—” a shriek escaped my lips as a figure suddenly appeared in the middle of the road.

The phone flew out from beneath my ear and disappeared somewhere in the back seat, numbers punching tones like horrid theatrical music and the car swerved to the side of the road as my hands released the wheel.

Luckily, I had some kind of incentive to press the brake pedal, and the large, hulking SUV skidded to a stop several meters down the road; the smell of burning rubber was like incense in the frozen atmosphere.

I heaved a huge gulp of mercy.

When I opened my eyes again, some of the fog had departed, and I could see. I got out of the car, inspecting my surroundings, and heaving a sigh of relief when I found that the Rust Bucket did not have a scratch on it.

Something flashed through the periphery of my vision.

Instantly, I knew I was not alone.

My body tensed, anticipating attack, the muscles strained as I shifted over into a crouch. Anxiety throbbed painfully in the pit of my stomach, refusing to go away.

I shifted into hunting mode.

“Hello?” I called, to make sure it was no human, which I doubted it actually was. “Anybody out there?”

A dark blur flashed past me in the opposite direction this time.

I froze, feeling my ears perking up, I watched as the blur skittered past again, flying through the fog, dark and unidentified.

A ghostly chuckle came from behind me.

I spun around, just a half second too late, and the blur moved again, disappearing into the eerie fog.

The delinquent giggled softly again, sweet and feminine.

I headed for the SUV.

Just as someone caught my arm.

“Where do you think you’re going,” said the voice.

Naida.

I stiffened.

Her red hair was like a fiery crimson halo around her head and her amber eyes glowed ambivalently in the glacial light. Her black lashes were dark against her cream skin and she held her glossy lips in an intimidating smirk.

My eyes widened and sharpened. “Let go.”

She laughed; it resounded amongst the barks of the emaciated trees.

“Now why would I do that?” she asked softly, almost a purr.

Through the fog, another girl appeared.

Her hair was bright sapphire and she had china doll skin and a porcelain face. Her eyes were wide and haunting, a shade of the most illustrious blue, and lips like hazy fire. Two pointy ears slipped out of the sapphire mane as a slight gale rippled her hair.