Chapter 30 - EPILOGUE

30

EPILOGUE

I woke up and it felt odd.

I felt too comfortable, too rested.

I didn’t move for quite a moment. My body didn’t seem to want to move, slandering curses at me as I made a move to swing my legs from the bed.

There was a timid knock on the door and in came my mother in her yoga suit, followed by Zaria and… Lorelei. I didn’t expect to see her after she’d attacked me in her library, but it didn’t mean I wasn’t happy to see her.

“Liz!” Zaria cried, running over to me and flinging her arms around my shoulders. Cotton Candy pink hair blurred my vision, and the faint scent of a piña colada lip-gloss. “Dude, I thought you’d never wake up. You sleep like the damn dead.”

I rolled my eyes at her. “Nice to see you, how did you sleep, are you feeling well?”

Zaria laughed. “Sorry, sorry.”

Lorelei smiled at me, a touch apologetic. “Nice to see you with your eyes open.” even so, what she really meant to say was hidden in her eyes. Sorry for going crazy on you the other day—I was just worried for my brother.

I nodded slightly and returned to bantering with my mother.

When I yawned after two hours, my mother finally got the message.

She rubbed my forehead and said, “I know you’re probably very tired. We’ll talk about what—happened—later.”

Zaria, mom, and Lorelei headed for the door, but only Lorelei looked back.

She grinned apologetically at me and said, “Xander’s on the roof.”

Then she was gone.

I got out of bed, throwing on a robe as I felt a deep throb in my vertebrae. I leaned out the window, scrambling onto the sill for support. My hands clung to the cylindrical copper, feet struggling to get a good foothold on the slippery metal. I slipped again, but I heaved myself over the top and rolled onto the shingles.

I sat in the wind, waiting. Not seeing the tall, dark figure from behind until I felt his arms at my waist and his breath on my neck.

“Elizabeth…”

I quickly turned in his embrace so I was staring at his face, the wide, strong arc of his neck and the way those gorgeous transitioning eyes focused themselves on me.

“I’m sorry…” he apologized, and I cracked a small smile.

“Don’t be. It wasn’t your fault.” I smiled, leaning onto his chest. “She’s dead now… I killed her. It’s my fault.”

“Don’t be silly. It wasn’t your fault; she was going to die anyway.” He sighed. “At least you had the guts to come back to me.”

“I remember… I said something—in the end, I think it was Latin?” I could not understand how I would know such a language; I had never spoken a word of it in my life.

Xander laughed softly. “You commanded her to die, and the spear struck her heart. You said that glory paid to ashes comes too late. You gave her unearned deference in death.”

He kissed me softly.

“I didn’t—open the portal, right?” I asked.

“No,” Xander admitted. “You cast a spell… It’s closed.”

I smiled.

 “I’m sorry.” I murmured.

“No. I am, and I love you.” He said smiling as he leaned to bury his lips in mine once more.

I couldn’t help feeling the bittersweet ball of joy knotted in my stomach.

Maybe after everything, there was magic in this corrupt world. Maybe this was our very own fairy tale after all.

I hoped so.

THE END

Author's Note:-

Thanks so much for staying on for the ride! This is the conclusion of Bittersweet D; shocker, makes you want to cry, but guess what! This is actually a trilogy. When the sequel is completed, I will upload it. But tell your friends!

Thanks so much again!

xoxo

xo-avalanche-xo