Chapter 4: Old Enemies

The next day, Jack was in a surprisingly good mood, that is, until Mavis came running up to Jack in between classes, "Jack! Have you heard?"
"Heard what?"
"Pitch is at school! Like, in class, trying to learn. Half the schools in an uproar!"
"Pitch? What? Why? Is Sandy ok?"
"That's just the thing, he's being nice to people! And trying to make friends!"
"He's planning something."
"I agree, but don't do anything to him! You'll get in trouble, it'll be playing into his hands!"
"Don't worry, I know what I'm doing."
Jack could tell by her face that Mavis didn't believe him. At that moment the bell rang and Mavis ran off to her next class

~~~~~

When Jack's next class finished, it was Sandy who showed up to walk to lunch with him. Sandy indicated that he was going to keep an eye on him.
"Did Mavis send you?" Sandy nodded. "I'm not an idiot, you know, I won't start a fight or anyhing!" Sandy raised an eyebrow. "Oh, whatever! Let's get to lunch!"
When they got to the cafeteria, none of their friends were there, but by the time they had made it to the front of the line, Punzie, Mavis, Pascal, and Merida, who had all packed their lunches, were sitting down, and Hiccup had joined them in the line.
The tables in the cafeteria had eight seats at them, three on each long side, and one at each end. The 'Artsies and Fartsies', as they had started to call themselves with the addition of Merida and Jack, took up seven, not including Jane, who was sitting with the book club. The empty seat was at one of the corners, next to Punzie.
Hiccup was just joking about how they needed another wierdo to sit with them, when Mavis said, "Look, he's here." They all turned to the door, the whole cafeteria hushed as everyone stared at the dark haired senior who had just walked in. As he went to the lunch line, everyone got out of his way, and even let them past them in the line, he got his lunch immediately and looked around the cafeteria for a seat. The silence broke as everyone hurried to take up all the empty seats at their tables.
"Don't worry about it," Jack said to Mavis as she started to put her feet up on the only empty chair at their table, "he wouldn't dare sit here."
"You might want to reconsider that statement." Merida said and they all looked to see Pitch walking towards their table.
"Do you mind if I sit here?" He asked as he drew up to them.
"Yes!" Jack said, standing up to face him better. Pitch raised his eyebrows and looked at Punzie for approval, she looked away, suddenly very interested in taking an ancient sticker off of her lunchbox.
"I guess I know when I'm not wanted." He sat at the almost empty table next to them, unintentionally close enough to hear they're conversation.
They finished lunch in silence, those who could eat, that is. Jack just sat there, glaring at the older boy. As soon as Punzie finished her lunch he asked, "Can I talk to you, Punzie? Alone?"
Punzie swallowed the lump in the throat and nodded, following him out of the cafeteria and into an abandoned classroom.
"What happened that you aren't talking about?" He asked the moment the door closed.
"What? I don't know what you're talking about." Punzie had never seen him so... Serious?
"All day you've been acting jumpy and then in the cafeteria Pitch looked at you as if you'd argue for him. So, I'll ask again, what happened?" Scary. That was the word. Scary.
Punzie took a deep breath and told him of the events of the day before.
"And you believed him? And got on his motorbike with him? Are you crazy?" Jack had been pacing for most of her story.
"I think he might at least be telling some truth. And I think we should give the benefit of the doubt."
"Benefit of the- are you crazy?" He asked again. "He probably only said all that to get close to you!"
"Why would he want to get to me?"
"To hurt me!" Jack sat down heavily, "I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to you, and I think he knows that."
"Jack, what if he really is trying to change?"
"Then he can get someone else to help him, but please, promise me you won't."
"Jack-"
"Please, Rapunzel, I can't take that risk with you."
Punzie sighed,"Ok, but now I'd better get ready for class."
"I'll go with you."
They left the abandoned classroom with a few suspicious stares going their way, and made their way to Punzie's locker so she could get her books.
Just as she closed the door Pitch came running up. 
"Punzie! There you are!" He glanced at Jack, who had tensed and looked ready for a fight, then smiled at Punzie, "I wanted to ask you if you'd mind helping me with my History homework? I'm so behind on it that I might as well be a sophomore anyway!"
"I-" Punzie tried to answer but Jack cut in.
"Sorry, she can't, super busy, we've got plans, and now we have to get to class." He took her arm and started pulling her towards the Cham lab.
"Oh, ok, I'll see you later then." Pitch called to them. Punzie tried to give him a sympathetic wave, but they had already turned the corner.
"That was rude." She told Jack as they slowed down.
"I don't care."
"But I do. Come on Jack, at least try to be nice to him."
"No. He has harassed my family for years, he's a jerk and a bully, and I hate him."
Punzie sighed but let the topic drop as they sat down.