My Escape

"Do you want some ice?"

Zane glanced up from his shoes at the head coach who stood in front of him a few days later. It was the beginning of afterschool practice and the basketball team was spread out around the court, warming up or on the benches, getting ready.

Zane raised an eyebrow at him and the coach tapped his own face, just under his left eye then pointed at Zane's face.

"That's a nasty bruise coming up there."

"Oh," Zane said, touching his face, "Nah, it's alright, doesn't hurt."

"Looks worse then it is, huh?"

"Something like that."

"Want to talk about it?"

"It's the same as always."

"Your siblings?"

Zane smiled at him as he stood up. "They're fine."

"Your mum."

"She's good."

"Really?"

"Really, this time."

"I would like to call someone."

"Please don't."

"You know I'm extremely uncomfortable with this."

"I know, but please. It's not for much longer, I just don't want anything to ruin things for me."

"Well with that face, it looks like you've been in a fight."

"Well... technically I have."

"A fight where you don't fight back is just a beating, Zane."

"Isn't it time for practice?"

"Zane." His coach caught his arm as Zane made to pass and held him there though both refused to look at each other. "Zane, you are set for great things, my most prized student, poised to one day see the courts as an NBA player. I know this, I can see it, you worked too hard to not get this... but I do not want to have to keep watching you watch the clock. Counting down the days until you get leave. I can help you change things at home, Zane, you just need to ask."

Zane was quiet for a moment, then looked at him, and smiled. "Just a little longer, Coach, just a little longer then you can call."

Coach looked up at him, then finally sighed and released his arm. "Have you at least got somewhere to go on the nights you don't go straight home?" he asked as Zane made to pass. "Tia tells me you don't go over to hers, or Eddie's or even Jessica's as much as you did, do you have somewhere?"

Zane pursed his lips for a moment, thinking about it, then nodded slightly. "Actually I do - well, as of a few days ago."

"Yeah?"

"You know Locke De Davies?"

"The musician? Tia told me you two had become close."

"Yeah, somehow. He has a place, says I'm welcome to use it. It's nice, quiet, a relief really. The type of place that not just anyone can get through the front doors of - so yeah, I have a place."

"Well... I guess that puts me a little to ease," Coach muttered.

A whistle behind them blew as warm ups finished and Coach dismissed Zane so he could catch up with his own warm ups to one side before going to direct the main group.

~~~~

Zane shoved the door to the flat open with his shoulder, kicking his gym bag through and lifting in shopping before stepping into the flat and meeting the sound of a piano.