One on One

"You got an invitation?"

Zane, Jess, Eddie and Tia all looked up from their drinks to see Locke stood at the end of their table.

They were in Costa, splashing a bit of money on food and drinks as congratulations to Zane for his offer.

"Hey, you're here," Jess said, smiling and sliding out of the booth, gesturing for Lock to take her seat beside Zane. Locke shook his head, smiling at her as he dragged a chair over from another table.

"Did you call him?" Eddie asked, raising an eyebrow at Jess as Locke sat down.

"I thought he should join us for the good news," Jess replied.

"Yeah, and now we get swamped by fans."

"Do you see any fans swamping us?"

It was true, no one was looking at them, probably because Locke had only taken off his coat, but left his hat, scarf and sunglasses on, and with his back to most of the café, people weren't looking.

"I thought this was just 'us' time, Jess," Eddie hissed under his breath.

"Do you want me to leave?" Locke asked, reaching for his coat.

"Stay."

Everyone looked around in surprise because it was Zane who had said it. He waved to Locke to leave his coat alone and stood up, reaching into his back pocket for his wallet.

"What do you want to drink?" he asked, looking at Locke.

"Just a black coffee," Locke replied, pulling out his own wallet and tossing it to Zane. "You can buy whatever you want as well, if you're getting yourself something."

"Thanks," Zane said, walking away to the counter.

As Locke watched him go, Jess kicked Eddie under the table, making him yelp.

"Don't be so rude," Jess snapped, glaring at him.

"It's ok," Locke said.

"It's not. You're Zane's friend too."

"I was just saying. Zane usually makes such a fuss," Eddie said, rubbing his shin.

"Well clearly not anymore," Jess said, triumphantly.

"I really don't have to stay if you don't want me to," Locke said.

"Don't be stupid. Zane told you to stay, Zane's word goes," Jess proclaimed.

"Don't worry about it," Tia said, smiling, "You'd want to congratulate him eventually I'm sure, might as well join us."

Locke shot her a tight smile, which widened into a genuine smile as Zane came back with a black coffee and a cappuccino, setting them down and handing Locke back his wallet.

"So, I hear it was-"

Locke didn't get the name of the university out, he didn't even get to think about the first syllable of the university before everyone on the table rounded on him and all but shouted "SHHH!!!" startling him as he jumped back.

He stared, blinking rapidly.

"Don't say it's name, you'll jinx it," Tia said.

"What?" Locke said, staring at her with a creased brow. "Jinx it?"

"Don't talk about it directly or it'll screw things up," Jess replied.

"Seriously? You know those superstitions don't actually he-"