Chapter X

Her fingertips were like snowflakes against my skin, cupping my neck as she wove a comb through my hair, tugging softly at the snarls. Before bedtime every day, she'd brush it and put it in a braid to prevent further tangling. She often remarked how swiftly it grew, the pale, silvery strands already reaching my knees.

"Didn't I tell you to keep it in a ponytail today?" She softly murmured, meeting my eyes in the mirror in front of us. I put on an expression of innocence before she sighed, giving me a glimpse of her smile.

I spent the day climbing trees, my father helping me up and down, sometimes even coming up with me. I enjoyed the height, seeing the world before me. "I couldn't help it. All the branches and leaves tugged it out of it."

She shook her head, accidentally yanking through a particular painful knot. I grimaced in pain.

"I don't understand why you won't let us cut it."

"Because dad says we'll have to cut it short to help protect me when I'm older. So until then I want it long."

Mom breathed out through her nose, her eyes twinkling with amusement in contradiction to her sighs of exasperation. "You're just as stubborn as your father."

"And you." He countered as he came in, a coffee mug in hand and a cigarette in between his lips. She looked at him disapprovingly and he shrugged. "With everything that's going on lately, I couldn't help it."

"I thought you were going to quit." She chided, focusing again on my hair. "And caffeine? Are you staying up again tonight?"

"Yes, I need to do research on the local scientists and doctors." Dad pulled up a chair and sat next to us, quickly putting the cigarette out when he saw me wrinkling my nose at the smell. "Besides, I've gone longer without sleep."

She eyed him. "It isn't healthy." Mom finally put the comb down, signaling that our nightly routine was finished. It normally took an hour for her to brush the nearly-white strands, but she worked quicker tonight, leaving me with thirty minutes of free time before bed. I spun around in the chair, it turning with me. I smiled at my dad, noticing his strained expression.

"I think I found a group that will be able to do the Memories transfer - they're highly a highly secretive organization, so no word of what we are will get out to the public." He rubbed his forehead, setting the mug on the table next to us. "We can't be sure though."

I hopped down from my chair, moving to the table to start climbing it so I could peer out the window. "Is it safe to risk it?" My mother sat down in the chair that I got off of, looking at my dad with worry.

"We don't have much choice, Lyrus. If we don't uphold our end of the bargain, it'll take her back." I felt his solemn eyes on me but I refused to face them instead gazing out the window into the dark night. Everything was coated in blackness. "And frankly, we're running out of time."

"What do you mean?" She inquired as I decided to sit down where I was. My parents were used to me climbing and settling in strange places, such as tables, bookshelves, or even the roof. They weren't too enthusiastic about finding me on top of the house, but anywhere else was fine.

My father's hand reached over to me, rubbing my arm soothingly. "Have you felt her back lately?"

"My back?" I pursed my lips and turned to meet my dad's eyes, my mother running a hand through her chestnut hair.

He nodded, the corner of his mouth moving downwards. "All day today as I was supporting her as she climbed in the woods.." He trailed off before casting a glance again towards me. "Lyrus, I'm serious. Run a hand along her back. You can feel them beginning to form."