Sixteen

(mine)

Sixteen:
Shift of Uncertainty

The following morning, Mike Schmidt proceeded to pace around all day. Was he excited, possibly nervous? As all types of children barged in, Mike was too distracted to notice anything. His mind wandered elsewhere. So, as the day, afternoon and night went on Mike was distraught and anxious.

"Excuse me, sir?"

Mike was off in his thoughts. The woman snapping her fingers to receive his attention. Mike hazily asserted his attention over to the middle aged woman.

"What's wrong with the animatronics? They seem to be impai–"

"They're fine, ma'am. Believe me they always do that. Always." Mike insisted, the woman not bothering to make him repeat himself had walked away in disgust. Mike being the only employee hadn't helped the matter. He only sighed and moved along.

Luckily, the restaurant would close in just a few moments. Mike rushing the children out of the arcade and begging the parents to take their kids along with them. The final kid was quite bratty, refusing to let go of a pink mangled fox animatronic. He whined and even attempted to bite the employee. His mom having to apologize and left with a nervous laughter. The kid resembled Mike as a child, refusing to leave Fredbears Family Diner and remained bitter throughout the day when he didn't get what he wanted.

  Mike chuckled before flipping the sign to the opposite side reading, "Sorry, We're Closed." Now all he had to do was wait patiently. Which Mike was perfectly capable of doing, minus the patiently part. He constantly stared at the time, it was nearly 12 o'clock midnight. Mike muttered multiple cursed under his breath, staring at the Toy Freddy on the show stage just briefly before looking back at the front double doors.

  When the hell was Jeremy coming?

  Mike felt chills down his back, feeling that the toys were ever so subtly watching him and his every movement. They were planning inside their metal heads how they'd prey upon him and startle him to death before grabbing him by the throat and—

  "Mike? Hey, am I late?"

  Mike sighed, and shook his head no. Strangely enough, he had enough courage in him to lie. Though, he had been infuriated at him.

  Jeremy zipped up his black sweater, hugging himself in a form of keeping himself warm.

  The timid boy looked at Mike confused, he was calm which was rather peculiar of him. When Mike made a sudden move, Jeremy was secretly startled though said nothing of it. He just watched Mike discreetly, too shy to speak up and question what was next.

  "Follow me," Mike mumbled, an old habit of his. Jeremy hadn't heard but was bright enough to understand what he wanted. He walked quickly behind Mike, being careful not to make any irrelevant noise. But, the chime of the clocks  in the multiple party rooms startled the shorter boy to death.

  Mike sat in a plastic creaky chair, Jeremy followed him and sat on a slightly shorter, cold, metal chair. A plastic desk in front of the two, it almost felt like home. Mike could still sense the chills, it was only Day 1 and Mike could already feel what was to happen. "They're coming."

  Jeremy stared at him in horror. "What?"

  Mike stared at him confused. "I didn't mean to say that out loud. But, it's true."