Chapter 3

Wednesday evening saw both Ashton and Bethany at home working on the coursework they had been set as their friends did the same, it being an unspoken agreement in both houses that the evening was set aside for uninterrupted studying, the only exception being if someone was working themselves too hard.

As she worked, the twenty two year old couldn't help noticing that Adair was online and sent him a message, wanting a bit of company as she worked.

'sub-arbore-sedeo: Hey, Adair. Is this week any better than the last, or are you still living the term from hell?

drummerboy94: Hey, Aurelia. It's getting there, I guess, but I swear one of my lecturers has it out for me.

sub-arbore-sedeo: What makes you say that?

drummerboy94: I'm not a big talker in lectures. I don't ask questions or offer answers very often, but somehow I always end up in front of the ones that just talk through the whole hour. He pulled me aside today and said if I didn't quiet down, there was no point in me coming to his lectures and if it continued, he'd report me to my personal tutor.

sub-arbore-sedeo: I'm guessing you told him it wasn't you?

drummerboy94: He didn't believe me. I don't know what to do. The loud ones seem to have figured out that I'm getting the blame for their talking so they always sit by me. I just want to pass, you know?

sub-arbore-sedeo: I'm not sure what to suggest... Take a friend, maybe? Tell your personal tutor about it for sure. Sit with others so they can't sit by you? Uh...

drummerboy94: Thanks, but I'll work it out. I'm just thankful my ex hasn't called whilst I'm in class yet.

sub-arbore-sedeo: She still bothering you?

drummerboy94: Yep. Sometimes I figure women aren't worth the hassle, but then I think of my mum and sister, my friends and you and I realise that some are. Maybe it's dating that's not worth it.

sub-arbore-sedeo: You say that, but there'll be a girl you fall in love with and she'll be so worth it in your eyes. And vice versa, obviously.

drummerboy94: You're a romantic, then?

sub-arbore-sedeo: Sue me, Adair. Every girl dreams of a man (or woman) who thinks she's worth it.

drummerboy94: And you hope this guy you like thinks you're worth it?

sub-arbore-sedeo: Of course. But he can get any girl he wants. Apart from my flatmates, who are both crazy about other guys, only one of whom knows. God knows why he'd want a weirdo like me.

drummerboy94: Obviously he does. You're friends, right? He obviously wants you in his life. Don't put yourself down.

sub-arbore-sedeo: Alright, alright. Moving on...

drummerboy94: Any lecturers/other things you want to complain/talk about? I'm here to listen.

sub-arbore-sedeo: Nah. One of my Stats lecturers talks too fast, but he has good notes, so I can get by. It just makes lectures really boring. On the other hand, Biology is interesting.

drummerboy94: But you're a Maths student?

sub-arbore-sedeo: Mathematical Biology; the maths of cows, predator-prey models and fur patterns.

drummerboy94: Ahh... I have no idea what you're talking about, you do realise that?

sub-arbore-sedeo: I thought not, but either way it's interesting to learn. Maths in the real world is fascinating.