Chapter 18

It takes us a while to get to Atlanta and then to find the hospital, by the time we get there it's late morning of the next day.

"We're here" Abraham says and we all shake each other awake. Eugene is still out of it, and Judith is sleeping, Carl and I decide to stay back with the baby.

"We'll be back" Maggie smiles.

I look over at Carl and he gives me a small smile. I return a smile but then I go over to the door of the truck and open it, too little space in here, I hate confined spaces.

I look out at the city and everything is in ruin, it gives me the creeps. There's a loud scream from where the group went and I look back at Carl and pull my gun out of my holster and I step out of the truck.

I stand dead in my tracks when I see it, Daryl is carrying beth like a baby, but she's not alive, she has a gun shot wound in her brain. Daryl is crying and Maggie is on the floor screaming and crying and everyone is so shocked.

I turn around at Carl and he's holding Judith in his arms and his eyes are full of shock and then a tear rolls down his cheek I look back at Daryl and then to Carl again and my heart does a little pull but no tears fall.

Our whole group comes out of the hospital including Noah and everyone has tears in their eyes.

Another girl walks out with them, she's in scrubs. I would ask but everyone's too shocked to notice.

I watch her walk out of the hospital and she looks me in the eyes and I keep her stare her eyes change from scared to confused.

"Daniella?" She asks.

"H-how does she know you?" Carl asks.

"I don't know" I say.

She starts to walk towards us and she has a smile on her face, I don't recognize her. She looks younger than me, she has multiple piercings running up her ears.

She reaches us and I just try to figure out who it is.

"It's me, Amber" she says.

Amber? What Amber?

Then it clicks, she was my little brothers best friend, she was older than him but they still got along.

"Amber?" I say and she hugs me but I stand there not reacting.

"Dani.." Carl says and I turn my head to him.

"I thought you were gone" Amber says.

"This isn't the best time for greetings, if you haven't noticed someone close to us has just died" I wriggling out of her arms.

"Aren't you happy to see me?" She asks.

"Just let us grieve and then I can think of being happy" I say and Rick comes over and grabs Judith from Carl and hugs her close to him.

"Oh, Rick said I can come with you guys" she says.

"Then we can catch up later" I say.

I leave Amber trying not to be harsh and we follow everyone, but Carl stops me and he looks me in the eyes and he's crying.

"This isn't happening" he says.

"I-I'm so sorry Carl" I say and I pull him in for a tight hug and he cries into my hug.

"Don't ever leave me" he says.

"Never" I say and I wrap my arms tighter around him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

We buried beth in a beautiful area under a group of trees and Maggie can't get out any words because she's just crying.

I hold Carl's hand the whole "funeral" and Amber stands near me in new clothes.