Chapter 2

We arrived at the Hotel and Jane goes into panic mode. The event is an Auction for a cause for the charity Let me in, they provide housing for homeless people and they help them stand in their own feet by giving scholarship to the youngsters and occupational therapy for the adults. The Event is planned to perfection, the catering, the flower arrangement, the room arrangement, the lighting, chandelier on the ceiling, expensive wines, good service, as I said Jane is one heck of a planner but that doesn't stop her on going mama bear over her staff.

"I'm going to mingle" I said to Jane and one eyebrow rose knowing that 'mingle' means 'escape'.

"Don't go MIA on me Lis" she pouted.

"You're gonna be fine, everything is perfect. You go check the staff"

"Call me if you need me"

I went strolling in the hall, checking out the auction items, the starting bidding prizes ranges from expensive to ridiculously expensive. Jewels, Designer clothes and bags, all expense trip to Paris, Paintings, Antiques they have it all. As I kept walking to nothingness just to escape the crowd I saw The Hope the first painting I ever sold.

"You like that painting?" A male voice said behind me. "That's my mom's favorite painting" He continues "It never failed to make her smile"

"Then why auction it?" I asked still looking at the painting.

"Because she wanted other people to be happy, like she does when she looks at that painting"

"And did you feel happy when you look at this painting?"

He seemed to think it over for a while then he answered "No, It feels fake"

That moment I turned and stared at him, directly in the eye, the greenest eyes I have ever seen. He's dark and brooding, just the way I like it. I have seen a lot of good-looking man in my life, but none of them have affected me like this one. Have you heard about that butterflies-in-the-belly stuff? Cliché right? but that's exactly what I felt. His tuxedo fits him to perfection, even his dark hair is combed to perfection, He's sinfully good looking and arrogant to boot apparently all the good-looking ones are.

"Fake?" I asked feeling my anger boiling. How dare this guy demean me, I'm no Picasso but I know that I paint with passion, and my work evokes emotion.

"Yes, Fake. You see, Miss..."

"Trammel"

"Miss Trammel, the slum is not a happy place, people live miserably there, they barely get by, it's not blissful place like the picture depicts"

"Have you been to the slums?"

"I know enough"

"That is a non-answer"

"But that is all the answer you will get"

I stared at him for a very long time, he stared back at me, I see little emotion in his face like he built a wall- a façade to keep people away.

"I think the artist didn't see it that way" I started "That is why it's entitled The Hope because despite their depressing circumstance, there's a way out and sometimes you have to smile to erase all the negativity, because if you feel disheartened all the time you will never have the courage to hope for more, to want to do more and to be more"

"You quite have a strong feelings toward this painting Ms. Trammel. Would you like to bid on this one?"

"I have no plans in buying something I ma-"

"You can't afford it, it's quite expensive" He said with an arrogant smile.

"I assure y-"

At that inopportune moment Jane chose to appear. "Lis!, I see you've met Mr. Lucas Anderson, He's our host for this event"