Chapter 5

I am in a bad mood. Like do-not-touch-me-or-i-will-stab-your-eye-with-a-syringe kind of mood. The shower was broken this morning, so I had to contend myself with a cold shower. Next my ever loyal car decided to act out, so I had to take the bus and obviously I was late. When I got to the hospital, my colleague decided to call in sick at the very last minute currently there is no replacement so we're understaffed, double the work double the fun. Now, I can't find a freaking doctor, I have an abnormal blood result that needs to be escalated and I have been calling and paging no one is showing up. My day is definitely not looking up. Just when I was about to kill someone Dr. Handsy shows up. Handsy is not really his name, but that's what we nurses call him because well, he likes to get handsy with the staff. 

"Is it just me or you look extra hot this morning" he said.

"Must be you, I haven't showered in a week, I reek" 

"You're funny. So what are you doing af-"

"I didn't call you for that Dr. Tate" I started. "The blood results came back for Ms. Craig, her potassium level is extremely low we need to start a potassium replacement. Her blood culture and sensitivity also showed that she's resistant to her current antibiotic we might have to change it" 

"Right, i'll get to that later. So what are you doing after work, you fancy some coffee?"

"Dr. Tate, do I need to call another doctor to do your job for you?" I said with impatience.

"Calm your tits Trammel, damn you're extra hot when you're bossy, are you bossy in bed as well?"

Fuck.this.shit. 

"Myrah! I'm taking a break"

"Go! Looks like you're about to murder someone" she said with a smile

Obviously my day is not looking up. I need caffeine and sugar. I went to the cafeteria hoping that somehow coffee and food can lighten my mood, because food. Duh. The cafeteria looks crowded today as usual and from the looks of it there isn't any vaccant table left. I ordered a chicken sandwhich and a cold coffee because cold coffee is superior to hot coffee. That's a fact.

"Hello, can I share your table?" I asked the lady. She looks like in her fifties, well dressed and very pretty. 

"Sure dear, I am just waiting for my son. He won't be any minute" 

"Thank you- I'm sorry what's your name? If you don't mind me asking"

"Karen" she replied with a smile. 

"Thank you Karen" I said while sitting opposite her. "My name is Lisa, I'm just taking my break"

"That's fine Dear, I'm sure you are very hungry"

"I am Hangry. Hungry and Angry" and on cue, my stomach growled. "Are you visiting someone Karen?" 

"I'm here for a check-up, my son is just getting my results"

"Are you sick or something?" I asked sounding a bit worried. I have always had a soft spot for mothers because I have a wonderful one, I always feel like mothers deserved all the good things in the world. 

"Nothing of the sort Dear, just the usual routine check-up, you know I'm getting old and my son always insists that I have one every few months. The boy spoils me rotten" 

"You have a wonderful son" 

"I have" she said with a smile. "Do you paint Dear?"

"How did you know?" I asked surprised. 

"You have a bit of paint here and there. In your hands, arm, hair" she observed. The infection control team wouldn't like it knowing I don't do my handwashing technique properly.