4

Alexa's POV
Just holding Lynn in my arms felt great, even if I knew she was crying. I also knew there was nothing I could do except be there for her. But I couldn't get over the feeling that we could never be together. Like, together. In what world would two girls meet through a dream, develop feelings for each other, and agree to meet outside the dream? She could live no where near me, I don't even know if she likes girls. She kissed me back, but I don't even know if she likes me.

Lynn was asleep and my head raced while I tried to sleep too. I guess I'll just wait.

Waking up, Lynn was sitting at the edge of the lake, looking into it. And I thought to myself that I had never seen something that beautiful.. She looked at me and smiled but it felt like she was squeezing my heart. "Morning, sleepy head." She says and I almost squeal at how cute she is. 

I didn't answer, I just stared at her, I couldn't help myself. Her face fell and she asked "What's wrong?"

"Wrong?" I said quickly before shaking my head and sitting up. I made my way to sit by her and took her, "Everything's great." Which was a blatant lie but it didn't matter. I wanted to kiss her again. 

She looked confused, I wasn't helping.. I should just stop. I let go of her hand, trying not to show disappointment on my face. I was suddenly unsure of everything that was "great." "Sorry, I, uhm.. never to check something." I said, getting up and walking away. maybe she needed time to herself.

Lynn's POV

I'm just confused. Did I do anything wrong? what was I supposed to do, or say? does it have nothing to do with me? or everything to do with me? I had no idea what happened to Alexa's mood.. it was "great" and then it wasn't. I just decided she'd come back when she was ready, so I'd wait here. 

I walked around the lake many times, I picked apart flowers, I jumped in the lake and poked at fish. And when night fell, I floated on top of the water, looking at the stars, wishing she was here. Wishing we could get past this, whatever this was. There was nothing left for me to do, I slept.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I woke up coughing, and everything hurt. I see a blurry Alexa, her lips are moving but I can't hear, or move or do anything. She sits me up and I notice I'm puking- I'm coughing up something.. water. Slowly, I could hear again, Alexa was yelling at me, and I couldn't quite figure out why. "Lynn, what were you thinking?!" "Thank God you're okay.." She looked worried and before I could confirm for sure if she'd been crying or not, she wiped her eyes. 

"Wh-what?.." My voice was hoarse.

"You.. you could've died.."

"But, we're in a dream..?" I was confused, and that was an understatement. 

She sighed after looking at me for a moment. "You're serious? You don't know?"

"Don't know what?"

"This is a world. A whole other world. In some ways different and in others the same as the one you came from."

She was totally messing with me. I laughed. "Haha, nice one."

But she didn't let up, her face was totally serious. Either she was serious, or she's good. She shook her head, she looked like she was deep in thought. After a while, she finally moved, inching closer to me. Then she pinched me. "Ow.. what was that for?!" I pushed her away and rubbed the part of my arm she pinched.

"You can feel. You can feel in this world, you can live in this world. You can talk, you can move, you can think, you can die. And you almost did. If you die here, you die there. If you die there, you die here. The "dream" world and "reality" world are equal.. whether you believe it or not."

And for once, something started to make sense.