Chapter 15 Frozen Forest

Endless.

The forest that was spreading all around you, reaching as far as the eye could see and towering well above you, was endless.

Completely losing the track of time inside that maze of trees and snow, you were unable to discern if you were walking for an hour, a day, or even a few minutes. The moment your feet stopped shaking and managed to raise you up from the ground, giving the ready to go signal to your brain, in the blink of eye you were running among the trees with all the power your fragile body and heart could provide you with and paying no attention whatsoever to your surroundings, the thoughts of getting away from this hellish place blurring your mind and vision, fueled by your sheer terror and desperation. Who knew how much time you had left until EJ came back? Who knew that maybe another one of the mansion's residences wouldn't find you and strike you dead? The only thing you knew was that you had to get out of there and right in front of you spread your only chance to do that. The wide hauntingly dark forest.

There was no time to lose.

You ran and ran, your feet sinking lightly inside the freshly fallen snow and despite that, never failing to catapult you forward with power, making you venture into the darkness completely concealed by any prying eyes that might have been lurking around, mostly because the storm that was waging on above your head was depriving the whole nature from any form of sound and light. The only thing that could be heard inside the mayhem of the thunders and lightnings, was the cracking sound of some faraway tree that was hit by the elements and was torn in half, proceeding to burn down to the ground. As if nature was really on your side today, no one would ever have been able to hear your heavy breaths nor your small screams of anger mixed with desperation when small shots of pain would resonate from your heart every now and then. No, you knew that it would do you no good to run like that and the adrenaline serum would only enhance the risks of having another heart attack, something that you were unable to afford right now; you were not as far as you wanted due to recovering from the first heart attack, but you also weren't because the pain was slowing you down. If you hadn't taken the drug before you left though, you would be dead a long time ago tonight and you would have been left outside on the cold night air to be eaten up by either the animals or the monsters that lurked inside the forest.

But after a while, you unwillingly reduced your running to just fast walking; it was humanely impossible to run anymore and the only thing you had left was walking. The mansion could no longer be seen in the distance, but judging from the capabilities that EJ had, it wouldn't strike you as strange if you were still inside the vicinity of his abilities. You were sure that you would be unable to outrun him or manage to defend yourself and boy, oh boy, he would surely be pissed when he notices that you are gone. So further into the woods it was for you. Crippling your way among the trees, trying to listen out for any sudden and unpleasant surprises that the forest might be hiding from you and trying to discern the different sounds among the destruction and deafening mayhem that was pounding all around, you kept in mind that as you made your way out of that window, you had managed to get a small glimpse of mountains in the far horizon straight ahead. If you managed to reach them, either by sheer luck or from a miracle, you knew you would be far away to consider yourself somewhat safe; if you were ever allowed to even utter this particular word right now. If you just reached them, you would be able to find out where the campus was, or even civilization.

Alas, the forest around you was still thick and the way towards the said mountains was far harder that you had first expected. Your eyes surely took long enough to adjust to the complete lack of light and make out your surroundings and every time a lightning flashed above you, submerging the woods into haunting variations of the color white and blue, it left you once again unable to see; there were many times that you had almost collided with an unseen tree. The soft snow under your feet was obediently giving away a little bit under your steps, its perfect and pure whiteness stained by your feet that mixed mud and soil in it; the footsteps that you left behind were so faint that were almost invisible, something that acted to your advantage, since no one would be able to follow you.