Chapter 5

Chapter 5

                Calicostripe swerved over fallen logs, around puddles, and through bushes. This chase went on until the older warrior heard a loud grumble from the badger, and she turned her head to see it far away, turning around, and heading to wherever it came from. The calico slowed down until she stopped and set little Rosekit onto the ground, who’s fur was fluffed up and her eyes had still shown her fright. She panted heavily, feeling tired and about to collapse. But instead of doing this, she continued panting and groomed the kit, trying to comfort her. This worked, because Rosekit wasn’t looking as scared anymore. Finally, Calicostripe lied down onto her side, and smelled the air again. The smell that she had caught made her chest ache and feel heavy. It was neither a vole nor badger smell, but the scent of SoulClan territory.

                No…

                She thought, getting up to sit on her haunches and stare at the ground. Her tail was flicking slightly and slowly.

                I knew that I wouldn’t be able to keep the kit, but, it hurts more than I thought to leave her.

                Her gaze shifted over to Rosekit, who was lying down with her head on her paws, but with her beautiful green eyes open. She sighed and padded over to her whispering, “Hey, Rosekit.”

                Rosekit twitched her ear to show that she had heard her and that she was listening.

                Why must this hurt so much?

                “We… We’re here.” She muttered, her blue gaze resting on the ground again, and she was shifting her paws. The older warrior tried as hard as she could to conceal the pain that she felt. She didn’t want it to be shown to the little kit.

                Rosekit lifted her head and turned to Calicostripe, her eyes full of confusion. “What do you mean?” she whispered back

                “We’re at the edge of SoulClan territory.” Calicostripe replied

                Rosekit leapt to her paws and purred. But then, she noticed the other calico’s sadness. It hit her as if it were a huge sharpened thorn. She lowered her tail and her gaze turned hard. “You’re not coming?” she asked, grief in her voice.

                The pain in Rosekit’s voice made Calicostripe feel even worse. “I can’t, I’m sorry. I was loyal to one Clan, and that Clan betrayed me.” she meowed, the last part coming out harshly.

                But then Rosekit continued, “No! You have to come with me! Please.”

                Her meow came out sounding like a plea, and her eyes were about to water.

                “Don’t leave me like my own family did.” She croaked

                Now the older she-cat couldn’t take anymore and murmured “I will watch for you, I promise. You can’t meet with me, but I’ll be there for you.” while getting to her paws.

                Rosekit could only watch as the she-cat that acted like a mother for the very short time that she knew her pad away. She didn’t even turn back, and finally disappeared into the forest. The last thing that the kit could see was her tail, which was being dragged along the ground.

                After Rosekit was sure that Calicostripe was no longer nearby, she let the tears that she had been holding back stream from her blazing green eyes that were now dull. The tears dripped from her white, non-dappled chin and down. She stood there for a while, sobbing quietly, and wondering what Calicostripe had been doing. Maybe celebrating that she could go on in her life and not need to worry about a kit? Or, maybe she was crying, not as hard as Rosekit, in a tree? She could be sobbing next to a rose bush, wishing that she could have gone with the kit. What Rosekit knew Calicostripe wasn’t doing was racing back to her, going to apologize, and go with the kit on her journey called life. It was too late for that now.