Chapter 1

"Those... powers of yours are not welcome here! You're evil!" The owner of the malevolent orphanage yelled at April as she pushed the young eleven year old out of the front door. April fell to her knees, a curtain of coffee-coloured hair falling around her face. Her emerald eyes were full of fear and fury.

"And you're wicked!" April screamed back as she walked to the end of the orphanage's dusty pathway, throwing her backpack that the owner had chucked at her legs over her slim shoulder.

"Get lost," the orphanage owner growled as she watched April look back at her. Slamming the door, she disappeared.

April suspired heavily, full of both relief and lost. She had nowhere to go. She'd pretended her parents were dead for years and went under the last name of Lockwood instead of Lockhart.

Now, she was just April Lockhart, lost in the middle of a city full of urban, crowded streets. She prayed that no one would force her to go back to Gilderoy or her mother.

April had grown up unloved. She was the product of her mother's desperation to become famous. After inviting the popular author Gilderoy Lockhart to tea, she'd spiked his drink with a love potion and they'd had a one night stand. As a result, April had been born emotionless and dispassionate. Of course, she just didn't know the reason why she couldn't love anyone yet.

Of course, her parents hadn't stayed together. Gilderoy was more interested in his books and April's mother had been nowhere to be found since her daughter's birth.

Sighing, April sluggishly kicked her feet down the empty streets. It was nighttime, so no one was around.

Slipping out of sight, she entered a dark alley. She plonked down on the floor with her back against the wall. She opened her bag, got out some notebook paper and lit a fire with some of it using only her hands.

April bestowed magic she'd never heard of or seen before. The other kids at the orphanage were terrified of her and the adults thought she was a devil worshipper who practiced ancient witchcraft.

They weren't far off. April didn't believe in anything and she didn't purposely perform magic.

"Miss Lockhart, what a pleasure."

April jumped out of her skin, her arm scraping against the brick wall as she slipped backwards in surprise. Her electric green eyes which looked like the colour of the forest after the rain stared up at an old man with a long black and red, intricately patterned cloak and striking blue eyes the colour of the sky.

"Who are you?" April choked out. She was frightened out of her wits.

"I'm Professor Dumbledore," the man with the long, grey beard told the child, holding out a hand for the little girl to shake. When April didn't take it, he retracted his hand and gave her a sheepish smile. He spoke again, "I've heard about your powers."

This time, April scrambled to her feet and cowered away from Dumbledore. Pointing a quivering finger at him, she made the edges of his cloak catch fire. The flames were distinguished within seconds.

"I'm not here to hurt you, April," Dumbledore told her as honesty clouded his features.

"How do you know my name?" April asked in confusion. She backed away a little more but lifted her hand back down to her sides.

Dumbledore gave the frightened girl a gentle grin, "I am the headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry."

April's pale lips parted as if she was going to speak but Dumbledore lifted an elderly hand before speaking again, "I know some of the accusations you have experienced, Miss Lockhart. I must urge the fact that students at Hogwarts have more normal intentions."

April had nothing to lose. She agreed to attend Hogwarts after being offered; it could be her home, her safe haven.

"Once we arrive, Miss Lockhart, you must choose a house to reside with for the time being," Dumbledore said as they began to head to a cracking, stone building, "The houses are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and... Slytherin."

"Slytherin?" April repeated instantly, as if it were fate that it was the name she picked up on.

"Slytherin, a house of some of our most ambitious and cunning students. They were often seen as... sly, if you will, by other students," Dumbledore explained, "The house of Ravenclaw, full of intelligent and witty pupils. Hufflepuffs tend to value patience and dedication. They are some of the most loyal people you shall meet. Finally, Gryffindor, the house of the bravest and most daring students. They are very courageous."

"I'd like to stay with Slytherin," was April's only response.

They got into the darkened building and approached a fireplace. Dumbledore told April about Floo Powder and within no time, they were at Hogwarts.