The Next Door Nincompoops-Chapter Six

I couldn’t keep my eyes open for a second in school the next day. Our Home Science and Values teacher Ms.Keith was droning on and no one could be bothered.Because it was Home Science And Values.Duh.

“Kaylie Carter.” She suddenly snapped.

Why me? Out of the thirty of us not paying attention WHY ME?

“Can you repeat what I just said?”

“Um.” I had caught the word ‘project’ a few times. “You were talking about an upcoming project?”

“Correct. And what would this potential project be about? Please elaborate.”

“Um. About Home Science?”

The class sniggered. Ms Keith rolled our eyes. “I need you to be more specific.”

“I’m sorry, Miss Keith,I really don’t know.” I admitted.”

“Your honesty is refreshing.” Ms.Keith said flatly. “This project pertains to event management and organization skills and accounts for 45 percent of your marks.Which is of dear need to you,Mister Andrews.” She glowered at Nathan Andrews,who had begun to snore at his desk.

“You will be divided into groups, roll number wise.”

We all groaned.

“And Miss Carter here,” She pointed at me. “Will be taking the lead for us. Why don’t you give us some ideas of what we can do?”

“Well, maybe something like a puppy adoption centre? Or organizing an auction?” I suggested. “Ooh, or a concert! Here at school.”

“Let’s not get carried away now.” Ms.Keith sighed. “A concert would be a little too much for a group of two high schoolers to organize.And you won’t have that much time. Maybe under two weeks?”

“TWO WEEKS?!” the class echoed incredulously.

“Okay, okay maybe three.” She relented. “You will have to make presentation at the end with your partner, explaining your successes, expenses, overall turn out, failures if any…”

“How fun.” Mandy moaned to me. We’re always paired together Carmichael and Carter. Lauren says our last names would make a perfect law firm title. She’s just jealous because she gets paired with Jared White. Needless to say, she ends up doing most of the work herself

“We’ll do something brilliant!” I reassured her confidently. I raised my hand to high five her when I saw Ms.Keith glance at me AGAIN.

“I’m starting to feel that you enjoy interrupting me, don’t you, Miss Carter? What did I just say?”

This time I was really stumped. “I guess…All proceeds go to charity?”

She nodded at me, “I didn’t say that, but I was going too. Let’s make this interesting. The team that wins will get a special prize.”

“Oooooh.” The class chorused unenthusiastically.

“What will it be?” Mandy asked excitedly.

“You’ll have to win to see!”

Poor Ms. Keith. Everyone probably twigged that there would be no prize after all, so they slumped back in their seats.

“So partners- Nathan Andrews and Jason Armstrong…”

“Carmichael and Carter! Whoot.” Mandy cheered and fist bumped me. She was a lttle too loud.

“Exactly.Carmichael and Carter. The class’s most disruptive forces. You two will be paired with hmmm…let’s see…” She consulted her list. “With Lauren West And Jared White. Since Lauren will be absent for a few days, you’ll help out Jared.”

Mandy grinned and whispered, “Jokes on her. Lauren’s not a punishment.”

“Yeah, but I think Jared is.” I glanced over at him. He had the same sullen expression on his face, and he was looking right back at me.

“Whoopee do.” I muttered.