Chapter 1

"WHEN I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home."

My younger-older brother, Ponyboy Curtis, has told me about a paper he had to write for his English class, and I've remembered it ever since. Pony and I are fourteen years old; he has a light-brown, almost- red hair. It's long in the back and in the front; it's also blonde, he dyed it when he was in Windrixville with Johnny Cade. But Pony isn't like his brothers, Darry and Soda. Darry, Soda, Pony, and I live together in one house.

Darry is in his early twenties, muscular, smart, and works too hard to keep a roof over our heads. He's tall, and has green eyes. Darry stresses too much at home and at work. He roofs houses during the day, and pulls muscles. Soda sometimes has to give him a back rub because he would pull his back muscles roofing houses. He had to take care of us when Mom and Dad died.

Soda is sixteen-going-on- seventeen. He dropped out of school to help raise me and Pony. He's a kid-at-heart, making someone crack up a good darn grin on their face; or burst out in laughter thinkin' that you broke your rib cage. He's laid back in many situations or he could have anger in his eyes. He works at a gas station called DX, a few miles away.

Pony is always lost in his own mind at times. Even though he's been through an array of events that scarred him, he can be strong. We had lost two members of our gang: Johnny Cade (a.k.a. Johnnycake) and Dallas Winston (a.k.a. Dally). They both died on the same day, only minutes apart. Me, on the other hand, I am the first and only greaser in our gang. Whenever the Socs or Socials, try to jump us they hold me and strangle me on the ground. Dally didn't believe that I was in the gang; but when I argued with Dally he pulled his knife out to my throat. I didn't even flinch, not one bit. Darry was out of his mind, he didn't think that was necessary. Darry always let me stay with the gang and never by myself.

I found Ponyboy in our room sitting there writing, looking around, and then writing again. I gingerly knocked on the door and said "Pony?"

He flicked his pen and looked up.

"Yeah?" he said.

He looked like he was going to cry so I walked over to him and wrapped my arms around his neck.

"It's ok, Pony," I crooned.

I saw a letter on his desk, and I read it silently.

"When did he write this?"

"Someday in the-" he broke off.

I let him go and grabbed his hand and then lead him to the table where Soda and Darry were eating. Soda was almost finished eating.

"Hiya, Pony," he said with a mouth full of food.

"Well I hope I did well," I said.

"Well? It's better than Two-Bit's mother's chicken." He said as he got up to put the plate in the sink and kissed my forehead and said, "I'm goin' to take a shower,"

"Okay," we all said in unison.

Pony didn't even touch his dinner; it was still on his plate. Darry looked at me and mouthed He's your brother, too; then put his plate in the sink. I nodded and said," Ponyboy, you haven't touched your dinner, and Darry's worried,"

He looked at me and held out his fork. I don't let the guys waste the food we make or bring home. If they don't touch their dinner, I had to feed it to them like they were babies.

"Why aren't you eating?" I asked.

"I just don't feel like it," he said.

"You always say that,"