Chapter 3

Darry and Soda were over the both of us.

"Willa, Pony?" they asked.

I sat up and the three of them hugged me. I let go of Pony and Soda and was on my feet. I walked a few feet away from them and was violently, but silently ill. The Socs had forced nasty alcohol down my throat. I didn't feel very hot, but I went back to them and said,

"Stupid bas- never mind. I need to go home."

"Can you walk home?" Soda said.

"No."

Soda picked me up and carried me home. He sat me on the couch and gave me a glass of water.

"Pony?" I mumbled.

"He's alright." Darry said. I slept on the couch, until morning. Darry sat next to me with the newspaper on him as a blanket. I stumbled in our room and fell on the bed. Pony was already awake, he turned towards me and threw his hand over my hand. I was too hot from sleeping on the couch, but Pony was freezing cold. It made me feel like home. I heard Darry say wake up but I rolled off the bed onto the bed. I'd clutched my stomach as I walked into the kitchen. I went into the icebox and found chocolate cake. I put the whole cake on the table and fork and started eating. The house smelled like burnt bacon and eggs; I grabbed chocolate milk and had a couple pieces of bacon and sat in a chair and daydreamed. Darry said I have a habit of doing it, but it's a bad habit to smoke. Two-Bit came in tripping over his feet an falling on his face.

"He'll be alright." we all said in unison.

Later Two-Bit had woke up and played poker while he ate Soda's famous blue potatoes. I sat down and started to draw; I drew all of us: Darry, Soda, Pony, me, Mom, and Dad. There was small noise that had disturbed us. I went outside and saw a toddler and a hurt puppy, I carried them both inside. I helped the puppy's paw and nursed it. There was a knock at the door; Pony had said that it was Marcia. I gave her the toddler and carried the puppy to her Sting Ray.

"You live with the Curtis brothers?" she said.

"Yeah. What of it?" I said.

"Nothing. It's that I didn't know that you lived with them. I thought you were-"

"A Soc. I know, I get that a lot, but I'm a greaser. They think I'm 'Soc material'."

"You can be, if you wanted to."

"I don't want to cuz I'm not rich."

"OK, well, see you in school."

"OK." I went into the house and slammed the door shut.

"What happened?" Steve said.

"They think I'm Soc material." I said.

"Thinks you're what?" Soda said.

Everyone started talking all at once and I heard Johnny, and Dally.

My face was red and I stormed out of the house.

"What the-" Pony said.

I ran down the street and Darry, Soda, and Pony ran after me. I heard Darry say "... cut her off."

Pony had ran faster than them. I stopped at the water fountain and saw a reflection. It was me as a Soc. Pony was behind me; he didn't slow down and we fell into the fountain. We sat in the fountain with the water above our rib cages.

"What the hell? "Pony said.

"I can't take it. Who I am, who I'm not, or who I want or need to be." I said.

"Who do you think you should be? " Soda asked.

"A greaser." I said.

"Then don't worry abo-"

"It makes me wonder why I am the way I am, you know? I never knew that being a sister is this much work. I didn't know that Mom and Dad were going to be in that auto accident. I didn't know that I'd have to get a job at fourteen. I'm much more a mother, than s sister."

"And a wonderful mother you are." Darry said pulling us out of the water.