Chapter 1

"One-Hundred dollars."

"Excuse moi?"

"You heard me, Mr.Bonnefoy. One-hundred dollars."

Francis Bonnefoy stood at the toy counter, a bit shocked at how much the toy he wanted costed. The Good Guy dolls had been popular for years, not to mention them still a best seller, even today. Francis' son had always wanted one since, and even now as a seven-year-old boy.

"Sacre bleu! These toys have been out for awhile now, no? Shouldn't the prices be lower?"

"Look, these toys have been the top selling toys since 1988. The company wont lower the prices unless their numbers lower. You heard me. One-hundred dollars."

Francis groaned, leaning against the counter.

"My son has been waiting for one of these things for a long time. Can't you give me a discount?"

The store owner sighed. "No. What the toy costs, it costs. I'm sorry, Mr. Bonnefoy."

Sighing, Francis pulled himself up from the counter, and exited the store. He had tried every toy store there was in the city, and all the prices on the Good Guy dolls were extremely high. This would be another birthday without getting what Little Matthew always wanted. Francis sighed, quickening his pace and headed towards the school to pick up his son.

--

"Hey, Matthew! Isn't your birthday tomorrow?" Asked Alfred, a little trouble maker of the school. He was Matthew's closest friend, he almost considered him a brother.

"Uh-huh! I'm hoping I get a Good Guy doll. I've been wanting one for awhile."

"Those things are cool! I want one, too!"

Then, a small boy with blonde hair and wearing green walked out of the classroom. He was holding a Good Guy doll himself named Oscar. This boy was known as Vash, the bully.

"Hey, Matthew. Still haven't gotten your doll yet?" He asked.

"No, not yet, Vash."

"Well, I'm not surprised. You can't even afford it. I was able to save up enough of my tooth fairy money to buy mine! His name is Oscar."

Matthew didn't like how Vash picked on him about not having enough money. Although, Vash was one of the kids like as Matthew who didn't have much money, himself. But, Matthew didn't like fights, so he never talked back.

"I-I gotta go.." He adjusted his backpack on his shoulders, "My Papa is waiting for me.." He quickly turned out to the door and ran out of the school. Alfred quickly followed him, sticking his tongue out a Vash.

Francis walked to the enterance of the school, putting a smile on his face once he saw Matthew. He quickly ran over to Francis, smiling and hugging his leg.

"Hi, Papa!" He giggled happily.

"Bonjour, Bébé. How was school?"

"It was Good! Vash brought in his Good Guy doll named Oscar and he made him talk! When will I get one of those, Papa?"

Francis felt his heart sink. Seeing Matthew in such a way and how he always wanted one, hearing about a new kid every day who brings in his doll, it breaks him knowing he can't buy one.

He simply sighed, putting on a weak smile. "One Day, Matthieu." Matthew smiled big, and hugged him. Francis took his hand then started walking along the sidewalk with him. Matthew shouted a goodbye to his friend Alfred, then walking home with his father. Tomorrow was his birthday.