Chapter 2

Matthew woke up extra early the next morning. He snuck into the kitchen, pulling a bowl out and his favorite "Good Guy's" cereal. Grabbing the milk, he pulled up a chair next to the table and started making breakfast for his father. Of course, the milk went everywhere due to how heavy it was. He climbed off the chair and went to his toaster, putting in two pieces of bread. He waited a bit until it was done, although, it turned out burnt. He hurried back to his tray of food, setting the toast on a plate and grabbing a knife, taking a scoop-full of butter, splatting right on the toast. He smiled to himself, climbing down and grabbing the tray, and walking to Francis', room who was still asleep.

"Paaaapa! Wake up!" He said, opening the door. He sat the tray on Francis' nightstand, jumping on the bed.

"Papa! Papa! Wake up!"

Francis rubbed his eyes, looking up at Matthew who was practically jumping on him.

"Good Morning, Bébé~ Happy Birthday. How long have you been up?"

"Since forever! Look! I made you breakfast."

Francis sat up, looking at the not-so-well-made food that was on his stand. He simply smiled, ruffling Matthew's hair.

"How about I eat this later, okay?"

Matthew nodded, becoming a bit jumpy. Francis knew, laughing.

"I know what you want. You want to open your presents, don't you?"

Matthew nodded happily, pulling at Francis' arm.

"Come on, Papa! Let's go!" He failed to pull his father up, due to his weak strength.

"I'm coming, Bébé. I'm coming." He sat up, stretched, and walked out into the living room. When he entered, Matthew was already looking through his presents. He grabbed the biggest one he could find, pulling it down.

"I want to open this one."

"Well, Bébé, don't you want to open the smaller one first?" The only response was a shake in his head. Francis shook his own head. "Go ahead."

As if on cue, Matthew instantly ripped open the gift, only his smile fading. Inside were pajamas, clothes.

Clothes.

There wasn't a Good Guy doll, and the box was big enough for it.

"What's wrong, Matthieu? Don't you like them? You need clothes."

He shrugged a bit. Francis knew why, and he hated it. He didn't like seeing his son so upset, but he couldn't find a doll worth the money, no matter how hard he tried.

Matthew went to the other box, grabbing it and opening it. Inside, it was a Good Guy tool box set, with the Good Guy logo on the front.

"...I want a Good Guy to go with it." Matthew said a bit quietly. Francis sighed, pulling Matthew onto his lap.

"I know you do, and I know you've been waiting for it for a long time, but they're really expensive. You know I don't have the money for that." Matthew nodded slowly, holding his tool set close to him.

Francis kissed his cheek gently, then put a smile on his face. "How about this: you go play with your tool set, and after I get off work, we'll have a little birthday party. Just you and I. Oui?"

Matthew nodded again, smiling a bit.
"Okay, Papa. Thank you for my presents." He hugged him and went to the center of the living room, putting on the TV for his favorite morning show and opened his tool set.

Francis smiled a bit, then walked into the bedroom and prepared for work.