Chapter 16; Together

Today was the day. No secrets. Everything out on the table. "Cat's out of the bag" as Ross said. Laura and Ross were finally together. They were dating. Boyfriend and Girlfriend. Exclusive. Together. Final. This was it. Everything was the way it was supposed to be.

Laura and Ross had a date next Friday. Laura was beyond nervous. She didn't know what to wear or how to do her hair. Her room was a mess. Clothes were strewn around the room and her fake eyelashes were nowhere to be seen. That might be for the best anyway. Laura could never manage to get the eyelashes on correctly. She always ended up looking like a drag queen. The world worked in mysterious ways. Laura never stopped to think of the trouble and anxiety Ross might be going through.

Ross had searched every single part of his brain for a suitable date idea. He wanted the date to be perfect. He wanted Laura to remember the date as the best first day she had ever had. He didn't want it to be like regular dates involving dinner and a movie. He wanted it to be special, because Laura was special and what they had together was special. He also didn't want it to seem like he was trying too hard. He wanted to seem chill and not like he had stressed out about the date for nearly a week, which he especially had. At the end he thought he had figured out what to do Saturday. Hopefully Laura would enjoy the night, because he didn't think he could take it if she found him boring or annoying or anything like that.

Saturday went by too quickly for both Laura and Ross. Both of them were nervous about the night and couldn't focus on anything. They were tapping their feet away, waiting for 8 pm.

The time arrived and Ross had texted Laura to wear something casual and bring a bikini. He didn't say what they were doing though. He wanted it to be a surprise. Laura was a bit worried about the date. She was quite self-conscious when it came to wearing a bikini in front of Ross. It was exposing and that frightened her. What if he didn't like her body? What if he thought it was a turn off? Anyway, Ross had texted Laura to bring a bikini so that's what she had to do. She had chosen a deep purple one. The top had ruffles, which she had bought in hope that it would follow the summer trends this year. Hopefully Ross would like it.

For her outfit, Laura had chosen a pair of short denim shorts with white studs on the pockets and a loose white tee with a R5 logo on it as a joke. Hopefully Ross had a sense of humour, otherwise he might think she was a little creepy. She decided to take the risk. She threw on a pair of red converse and sat patiently on her couch, awaiting Ross. 

Ross had worn his favorite yellow t-shirt and a pair of ripped pale jeans. He had taken forever to get his hair looking exactly right. Thank God he had started ready early, otherwise he would've been late to pick up Laura. However, Ross was exactly on time. Something that rarely happened but Ross had made an effort for Laura. He wanted this night to be perfect. 

It took Ross a long time to pick up the courage to ring the doorbell to Laura's large house. When Laura heard the familiar sound of the buzz of the door, her head snapped up and her heart began to bang against her chest. The night could finally begin.

Laura's hand shook as she twisted the doorknob to reveal Ross. Laura gave Ross a slight smile as his eyes began to take in her outfit. As his eyes reached her shirt, he led out a loud chuckle. "Nice shirt!" He said once he'd calmed down and Laura returned with a relieved grin. "You like it?" She asked, a huge smile plastered on her face. "Yes I do. Very much." Ross replied, his smile never leaving his sun-tanned face. "Shall I escort you to the vehicle, my lady?" Ross asked in a failed attempt at a posh british accent. "You may." Laura replied, just as miserably failing. They both laughed at their language disasters.

The ride to wherever they were going was spent in perfect silence, but it wasn't awkward. It was comfortable and it made Ross wonder if things were this easy with Laura all the time, this might be the beginning of something you only read about in books. Laura did ask several times where they were going but Ross never budged. It was going to be a surprise and Laura was going to adore it.