Halloween Special

"Come on Zero," I whined as I walked through the town. It was almost Halloween and most of the houses were covered with lights and spooky decorations. I didn't really care for trick or treating because I never felt safe after dark but I did love how people made it so festive. I love wandering around the town just looking at all of the hard work and admiring the food in the windows set to the date. Even some of the children had on costumes early. It made me laugh.

     I paused at the corner and waited for my partner to catch up. "What took you do long?" I asked in a huff. He only glared at me. "Come on. We still have a few more streets until dark and I want to look at everything." I smiled and started walking again. I know he hated me dragging him along each year to look at the houses and shops. He hated all of the people and not being able to tell if they were dangerous at one glance. But he still came for me. It made me happy.

     "So do you want something to eat before we head back?" I asked stopping again. He didn't respond so I decided to get food at one of the sweets shops near by. When our snacks arrived I held out a bite for him to see. "It looks like a spider on a web. Isn't cool?" I asked before putting the bite in my mouth. It tasted sweet and chocolaty. I ate my snack and noticed that even Zero ate the dessert I ordered him. He was so ease to read sometimes. 

     "Can we head back now?" Zero asked when we left the shop. I nodded, "Yeah. I think that I saw all of the decorations for this year." He rolled his eyes then started walking back to the  academy. It started getting darker and more kids in costumes were coming out. I laughed and pulled on Zero's arm to get his attention as we passed a little boy dressed as a vampire. "Don't you think that's funny, Zero?" He stopped and watched the child continue down the street. "If he knew what those monsters really looked like then he wouldn't think so great of them." I looked at my feet. "I know. Not all vampires are good. But he doesn't know and he's happy not knowing. Because we protect them. Right Zero? It's okay for him to be innocent like that, right?" I looked up at him and waited for a response. He nodded. "You're right. Now let's get back. I think that the Headmaster is planning to cook again." We both laughed at that and resumed walking. 

      I liked the times that Zero comes with me even if he hates it. He is always by my side and protects me. I am glad that he walks with me each year and I hope that it never ends; forever the two of us as friends.