Prologue

The pup suckled with her littermates, her eyes still shut tight, her ears still folded against her head. They had been born only a few hours ago to their mother-fox, Trixy. Trixy had given birth to a litter of five pups, and she stared into the distance, her senses alert for any sign of danger. The mother-fox finally looked down at her pups and nuzzled each of them in turn, giving them names: Mercy (the pup), Lilly, Stone, Grey, and Chaser.

Something worried Trixy as she heard the death bark of another fox in the distance. Their father-fox had still not returned with food for Trixy, and it had been hours before the pups were born since he left. Then the bone-chilling howl came, followed by more howls. What's taking him so long? Trixy thought. Father-fox was a skilled hunter, and it never took him this long to find prey.

The pup squirmed with fear for even she could sense the hidden danger, that lied beyond a crest of hills, where the father-fox had left in search of food. 

"Don't worry," Trixy said to the little pups, "your father-fox will return soon. I hope."

Don't worry, it gets more exiting, this just introduces the main character's family. There's a lot more exciting things to come. :D