Chapter 9

"Tiger, what is he talking about 'reputation'?" Mercy asked.

"You haven't told her," The dog barked, clearly pleased.

Tiger sighed, "I guess you have to know sooner or later. When I lived in the city, and my mother-cat was captured by humans, I had to teach myself how to hunt. But before then, I would steal other's prey. I was so fast, no one could catch. And if they did, I would some how always win."

"What!" Mercy exclaimed. "You were a theif!"

"I'm not finnished," Tiger huffed. "Tiger isn't my name, it's a nickname. It was given to me by the other stray animals, or anyone else who new my reputation. It was given to me because, I was fast and strong like a tiger. No one could catch me. No one could beat."

"Then what is you real name?" Mercy asked. "And why do you always use it?"

"My real name is Curess," Tiger explained. "I always use Tiger because I'm proud of my reputation. And it reminds me that I will always be Tiger, a clever theif."

"How could you be proud of that," Mercy growled.

"Because being a theif is all I know," Tiger answered.

"But now you know how to hunt, you do hunt," Mercy said.

"I only hunt when there is nothing to steal," Tiger replied.

"Fennec, did you know this!?" Mercy demmanded.

Fennec held her head down as she replied, "Yes."

The dog only laughed. "Your reputation is ruined Tiger."

"Shut up!" Tiger screeched. He leaped at the dog, clawing at his shoulders, but as soon as the dog tried to snap at him with its teeth, Tiger easily leaped out of the way.

"My reputation will never be ruined!" Tiger screeched. "I am Tiger. Fast cat. Strong cat. Clever cat!" He leaped at the dog once more, tearing his claws down the dog's side. The dog howled in pain, and then fled.

"I'm sorry I lied to you," Tiger whisper to Mercy.

"I forgive you," Mercy said.

"You do?" Tiger gasped in surprise.

"Truth is I've stolen too," Mercy admitted.

"Yah, but you didn't know how to hunt, that's different," Tiger exclaimed.

"Are you looking for a reason for me to be mad at you," I said playfully.

"I guess not," Tiger huffed. "But can you still call me Tiger, not by my real name."

"Alright. I think I can live with that," Mercy said.

Fennec, Tiger, and Mercy curled up where they were and fell asleep.

Mercy opened her eyes to be met by a dream. The wolf pack circled her hungrily, their teeth glinting in the moonlight. 

"Dumb fox," the alph taunted, "we killed your mother, and we took full pleasure.

Anger surgeed through Mercy, a growl rumbling from her throat.

"Rember Chaser and Lily. They were just too easy," a wolf snapped.

"Don't talk about them like that!" Mercy screeched, leaping at the nearest wolf, as it was about to sink its teeth into her throat.

Mercy woke up, her heart beating so loudly, she thought even Fennec should be able to hear it. How dare the wolves speak of my family that way, Mercy thought.  All of a sudden anger took conltrol of Mercy, and her heart wasgiven the poison of revenge. And all Mercy wanted to do, was destroy the wolf pack.