Joint at heart

For it is true, the that the deepest desires comes from the innermost depths of a heart, and so the roots of evil do begin from the heart".

-A.D.
Hearts beat quicken, steps dragging me further down the corridor, mind racing,I need to get away, too bright.
I close the door behind me. I sit in the corner of the room. I drag my knees up to my chest. Cover my bare legs with my cotton dress. I bury my head, within my body. I look up, and around the room. I see them dancing around me. There's no one. There's just something. Something that's was there since the day we were born. Throughout our life it never left us. Our shadows. I look at them and smile.
I chase the night to meet them, for they love blending with everything black. I sing to them. I talk to them
They respond, saying only the truth . They've told me before, life is a lie and everything about life is a lie. Death is the painful truth, and we can get it. All you need is a sharp object and the courage to do it. It will be like a breath of fresh air, they say, I can be friends with them forever they'll never leave my side but I also have to do it quickly before someone starts to notice. They said, I'll come get you just wait. So I smiled at them and asked, when. They replied, soon. There are times I black out and the shadows and voices play with me, but I'm scared of the dark so I hope and pray. Every night as usual, a bright light wakes me up. The bright light time says,to stay away from the shadows, I deny them every time. Every time something bad happens we don't see bright light we see shadows. The shadows they're always there for us and later when everything's over the bright light comes to warn you, never to save you.