Eighteen.

Alexander was gone now, the nurse had shooed him away claiming I needed resting periods since this was (potentially) my last day here.

My mind was in a good state of serenity, seeing Alexander Xavier again, it truly got my heart racing, and thinking about Seth made my mind double over, I didn't know what I was doing, I was playing with emotions, with fire, and someone was going to get hurt.

I'd rather it be me than them.

Now, for once in a long time, I'm not battling myself, I'm at peace at this moment in time, I'm calm.

My eyes were suited to the darkness as I came out of a deep somber, my lids feeling heavy but I was awake, just lazy.

When I was finally conscious, and I blinked away the haze, I saw a man standing at the foot of my bed wearing a white shirt tucked into a pair of slacks. At first I thought it was just Charlie, my doctor, then as I pulled myself up, and focused on the man in front of me, I saw a pair of laser sharp green eyes, and instantly, I was awake.

Daniel cocked his head to the side, in today's sight I noticed, his dark brown hair was now gone, he had a buzz cut, closely shaven to his head. I noted his roots were quite pale for some reason.

The stare he looked at me was enough to set my teeth on edge and my blood pulsing through my veins under my skin.

"Maria." He had now spoken and I was now terrified.

I stared back at Daniel, my knuckles almost as pale as the shade of my hospital linens, "H-How?" I didn't know how I said that, I didn't understand how my throat had pulled my voice out of its box.

Daniel simply shrugged, and then very suddenly, threw his hands up like his had mastered a magnificent trick, a comical gesture, "Magic." His fingers wiggled, as though sparks were to come raining down on me, lighting up my life.

He chuckled then and the sound had me catching my breath, I shook my head, "You're not real. Get out of my head!" I exclaimed and felt anger suddenly surge through me.

"How can I when you want me there, Maria?"

I recoiled, "How dare you." I shot back and Daniel cackled, "Oh Maria, I missed you." Now my heart began to throb, "I love you, Mare." The sound of those words passing through his lips caused my head to spin, "I'll always love you." His voice deep, sincere, everything I've always needed, everything I fell in love with now stood in front of me, maybe this hell was my heaven, "But I can't have you." I shook my head, "No, please." I pleaded, suddenly my vision was flooded with cloudiness, I heard the pulse meter next to me suddenly spike.

"I'm your demon, Mare. What good what I be, if I didn't do my job?" I noticed my cheeks were wet with tears, I noticed I was heaving for breath, I noticed all my life I've been alone.

I reached out for him, for my Daniel, I reached out for everything I knew, for the love of a boy I knew would always be mine, I reached out for happiness, but then he turned around and walked away.

He didn't shatter, he didn't turn to blood, he didn't scream or whirl away like my other demons, he walked away, like literal life refusing to let me live.

I then let the tears fall and let my heart break and let the truth Christine spoke of to come and find me, now I wouldn't fight it, I would pursue it.

AVERY.

I raced back through the halls, I need to get to her, to Maria. I needed to make sure she was okay. After seeing Daniel here, I was scared. I was never scared.