silly little arguments • erejean

[ possible trigger warnings up ahead I think probably but just to be safe ]

It shouldn't have turned out like this.

They were both still young, seniors in college with only a few months until graduation. They had their entire lives in front of them. They even moved in together, in a nice, furnished apartment they'd rented with both of their savings combined.

It was located conveniently close to campus but also close to the rest of the big city, walking distance away from shopping malls and endless entertainment. They talked about getting a pet once, maybe a dog or a cat, after graduating.

Jean remembered the day he gave Eren a promise ring, it was Eren's eighteenth birthday. The ring was simple; gold banded with a single silver diamond in the middle, but it was the most beautiful thing Eren said he'd had ever laid eyes on.

Jean remembered the words that he had told Eren that day.

"I'm sorry that it's not much, babe, but it was the best I could afford with my broke, in college, part-time job salary." After that statement from Jean, Eren had laughed, the familiar, comforting sound of his laugh ringing like chimes. The corners of his lips, the lips that Jean found himself missing from time to time, curved upwards into a tiny smile as he'd grabbed Eren's hand and slipped the ring on.

"I guess now I have to explain why I brought you that ring, huh?" Another carefree laugh as Jean had grabbed Eren's hips, his hands fitting perfectly around the brunette, and pulled him closer. "I don't say it often, but I love you so, so fucking much, Eren. I want you to know that, to know how much I love you and how grateful I am for you, just because you've stuck around with me for so long.. But I want to make that even longer. I want to wake up next to your smiling face every morning, want to grow old with you. When I think about the future, all I can see is the two of us together, with a kid or maybe two." At that point, Jean had leaned forward and kissed Eren, his lips so soft and warm against the brunette's- a feeling that Jean desired to feel again, so much, it kept him up at night.

"Yeah. I never knew I could have you, someone as amazing as you. Someone that could make me feel the way I feel now, so hopelessly in love. Every time I look at you, I fall in love with you and your personality, your beautiful eyes, you, all over again. I know I'm rambling on right now, but just looking at you made me forget everything I was planning to say."

"I promise that I'll be the one who loves you forever, Eren. I promise that you'll be the only one who has my heart, my first love, my only love, and most importantly, my last. I promise that I will be right here, by your side, for the rest of my life. I'll protect you from any and everything. Nothing can hurt you as long as I'm here, babe. I love you, Eren Jaeger. So much."

Neither of them knew those promises would've been broken.

Neither of them knew it would've just ended like that. Sure, they had silly little arguments here and there, but nothing that was even close to resulting in one of them leaving the other- in more ways than one.

And Jean still felt so guilty, the type of guilt that stuck around with him forever.

The type of guilt that haunted him and tore him apart on the inside.

Everything fell apart during exam week, when both of them were stressed out, tired, and grouchy from their exams.

-

"Hey Eren, want to go see a movie Friday night after exams are over with?" Jean asked, flipping through his math textbook while lying down on their bed.