The Boyfriend ~5.5~

I slowly walked to bedroom, ignoring the calls of my name. I closed the door behind me, locking it and fell onto my bed crying. Who was I kidding thinking that I was helping Asher? He couldn’t be helped at least not by me. That kiss was proof of it. It wasn’t a real genuine kiss; it was a ‘boyfriend kiss’ from my hired ‘boyfriend.’

            Hours passed and the sun dimmed its happy lights in tune with my sadness. Luke had come to the door a couple of times trying to get me out. Heck, even Bubba and Jared came knocking. However I couldn’t find the strength in me to get up or even answer them. I was being overemotional and I knew it. There were many other people out in the world with bigger problems, yet at this moment in time I only cared about mine. It was a selfish act, but I was entitled to it every once in awhile.  “Are you done crying in there?” a new voice questioned from the door.

            My ears perked up recognizing it. Slowly I shuffled over to the door. “What do you want?” I grumbled.

            “To know why you are being so ridiculous,” Asher said stiffly. The door remained shut between us, but I could feel his presence through it.

            “Ridiculous?” I snapped, “I’m the one being ridiculous? You kissed me out of nowhere.”

            “Is that what this is about? Me, kissing you? That’s stupid, we’ve kissed before in the limo last night, and you put up less of a tantrum than tonight,” Asher accused.

            “Tantrum? I did not throw a tantrum tonight, I was simply upset. And I have every right to be when you kiss like that.”

            “Like what?” he hissed.

            “Like you mean it,” I whispered. It was supposed to come out angrily, but instead it was soft like a baby’s blanket. I couldn’t hide my hurt. Not at this moment at least.

            Asher’s voice suddenly broke through the silence, “That’s why you’re crying? Because I meant it?  Women! They say one thing and mean the other!”

            “We do not!” I hissed.

“Oh yes, you do! You told me not to touch unless I meant it, and when I do, you yell at me for it,” he snapped.

            “That’s the point! You didn’t kissed me because you meant it. You kissed so you can play your role as my boyfriend,” I replied harshly.

            The door swung wide open. I fell over backwards startled. Asher pushed himself in shutting the door behind him. As it closed I could see the confused faces of Luke and the boys standing there.  “You think I kissed you, because I’m obligated to?” Asher asked as if it were the most stupid thing I ever thought of.

            “Duh, you’re my “boyfriend,” and you don’t exactly like me,” I reminded.

He sighed running a hand down his face, “I don’t hate you. I mean I don’t like you either, but definitely do not hate you. It’s kind of impossible to hate someone when they’re abnormal like you.”

            “Abnormal?” I questioned.

            For a minute he looked embarrassed, “You’re not how you are supposed to be Steph. People, who hire prostitutes for their own means, don’t try and make breakfast for them in the morning. They don’t tell them not to do something if it makes them uncomfortable. They tell them to get over themselves, because they bought them. People who buy people like me, Steph, don’t see us as individuals. They see us as rented property.”