Chapter 10

My mind will only think of the past. And now I have reached the part of my time with the Warren's that hurts the most. Ironic, isn't it? How it was some of the best time of my life yet just under two months in and it already got near to unbearable.

I glared at Saffron, right into her orange-brown eyes. The blazing fire.

"My name is Willow Elani Gold," I hissed back, bracing my hands on the arms of the chair.

Saffron, in turn, put her hands together and put them out in front of her, leaning forward over the desk that separated us.

"Oh really?" I just blinked as she continued. "Is that why your parents were killed by the government, why you are so close with Violet who is protecting you and why her best friend was your mum and she was called Melody and she lived in Challotte, which happens to be the same town that got burnt to the ground because of a certain Melody Lycht."

"Melody Gold," I corrected, feeling anger starting to rise in me. I suppressed it and tried to control myself.

"What?" Saffron asked, confused.

"Her name is Melody Gold. She took my father's name," I explained. Staring to relax a little at her soft tone.

"You're not going to deny who you are?" Saffron asked.

"I'm not going to deny that I'm Melody's daughter, no. But I will deny being Willow Elizabeth Lycht. My name is Willow Elani Gold. It always has been. Either way, call me what you like, traitor Lycht's daughter or Lycht girl, but my name bears nothing of my mother. Not technically."

"What do you mean? The government advertised you as Willow Elizabeth Lycht," Saffron queried.

"Because legally, I am. Well... Even that is generous." Saffron tipped her head to the side in question. "My mother got Violet to forge my birth documents to say 'Willow Elizabeth Lycht', but the actual real ones say 'Willow Elani Gold' to help protect me. I still have to be careful though. Biologically, I come up as 'Willow Elizabeth Lycht', so Violet had to delete any record of me entering the hospital and psychiatric clinic so that they wouldn't be able to match me up to my actual name," I finished.

"But if Gold is your dad's name then..." Saffron protested.

"They never cared for him. They never noted his name down. I don't even know it. Perk of being a Gold isn't it?"

"And you kept this from us? Willow, you have put us in a very dangerous situation!" Saffron screamed in a hushed whisper.

I closed my eyes and bowed my head. "I know. That's why I ignored Jett's request. It's true. I am an all for nothing person but I also don't like dragging people in." I looked up again. "I understand if you don't want me to stay with you anymore, or work for you, but please don't turn me in. I can leave Stormchest-"

"You're not going anywhere, Willow." I gazed down at my own fingers in my lap. I knew what was coming next. Well... I thought I did. "I'm going to keep you safe. I met your dad once at a support group, and there is no way that I am going to let his daughter slip from me. I am never going to turn you in, I promise." I remember the shock that I felt. I never thought that Saffron actually had a connection to my family.

But it made sense, I suppose. 'I met your dad once at a support group.' It must have been a support group for relatives of those who were classed as traitors.

"His name was Cerys Gold, and he was a good man Willow, he didn't deserve that fate," Saffron suddenly said. Tears started erupting from my eyes and started to slowly make their way down my face. I did nothing to stop them. I didn't want to. Saffron just smiled a sad, sympathetic smile.