Chapter 2 - Part 1

From the way that I described Jett in my account of the first day, it may seem like we had more than friendship, like a fling of sorts. However, in actual fact we were just close friends, almost like siblings, and reliving these memories in the dust of the dead is making me realise how close we were. We were like two peas in a pod, as one might say. Jett always wanted to know who the hurt girl was inside and how to bring her out to make everything right. Unfortunately, I had buried that girl a very long time ago. It is necessary in order to move on from such a trauma that I had endured at such a young age. He tried really hard and at times, like what I am about to describe to you, I tried hard, maybe even too hard, to keep her buried. But now, cowering in the dirt and the ashes, that girl has finally come out once more. I suppose, in a way, Jett succeeded.

The mornings in Zelt are always warm, not cold, not hot, but warm. In my opinion, that is the perfect temperature. The same always goes for the evening. However, during the day, it is always hot, too hot. It is always that kind of a heat that makes you feel nauseous and sick. However, this was spring, so it wasn't too bad, not good, not awful, just not too bad, bearable. Working in these conditions isn't exactly ideal and I have to say that I did not look forward to it and I still don't. But the lemon grove was different... Well... It was still hard, exhausting work, but there was more shade from the trees, I suppose.

The theme for this new account is really just non-existent. However, I would say that it is going to be more on my first day at work on the lemon grove with Saffron and the start of the domino effect of chaos more than anything else.

The breakfast table had been silent and since I had asked Hazel why she had no friends at school, she hadn't said anything to me. She just glared at me every now and again.

The two siblings packed up their bags and left at the same time, wishing me luck on my new day at work before leaving to go to school.

Saffron glanced at me. "You look tired," she remarked. "Did you not get enough sleep?" she asked. Despite the question, I could see in her face that she knew that it was not the case.

"Just settling in I guess," I replied, both arms below the table, trying to hide my fear.

"No," she said. "It's something else. I can see it in your posture. Don't worry. I'm not going to intrude. You are a guest after all."

In my opinion, that was good enough as a confession to the fact that she knew something more. What is it with this family? I asked myself. However, with that said, we cleared the table, washed up (an essential due to the heat and flies), and left for the lemon grove.

It must have been about nine in the morning when we set out. I tried my best to memorise the route so that I could make my way there and back whenever I was sent on an errand or whatever. But the zig-zagging maze of streets made this difficult because every street seemed to look the same every time we turned a corner. Saffron also seemed quiet. I figured that it was because she was tired herself. To be honest, I was surprised that I was so awake seeing as I was up half of the night!

When we arrived at the lemon grove and sugar farm, Saffron gave me a pretty, short white linen apron and asked me to follow her into the grove. She took to the nearest tree and pulled down a branch so that I could see the fruit.

"Some early birds grow quicker than the others around them. The way you know that they are ripe is if they look yellow. But the right sort. Quite like this one," she explained, while pointing to one hanging from the branch. "You must then touch it lightly and give it a gentle, but not firm, squeeze and if it is soft and not rock hard and it comes of its stalk easily, then it's ripe and can go in one of the baskets on the floor," she explained further.