Chapter 9

My sight was blurred from all the tears and my forehead was throbbing at the same pace as my aching heart. The TV was on but I wasn't paying any attention to it. I had been lying on the sofa curled up in the same position for an entire hour now ever since I left the hospital. The emptiness of the apartment without Vanessa there scared me. Every corner of the room felt like it was closing in on me and I couldn't shake the feeling that the ceiling would fall down over me just like my life had fallen apart the last weeks. I moved over to where Vanessa usually sat on the sofa. The pillows there still had the soft scent from the perfume I bought for her 18th birthday. I felt a tear making its way down my cheek but I quickly wiped it away, scared that it would wash the scent away. The TV and my heavy breathing covered the sound of footsteps entering the apartment. I was facing towards the back of the sofa, trying to inhale all the scent from Vanessa to kill the feeling of loneliness.  

Suddenly the emptiness disappeared as arms were being wrapped around me and the warmth of another person lying behind me streamed towards me. It didn't scare me, I knew who it was. I could tell just by the sound of his breath. I turned around and those green eyes were staring back at me with a look of concern. I moved closer, laying on top of him with my head on his chest, hearing his heart beat as his chest rose and fell. Harry wrapped his arms around me and kissed my forehead trying to make the pain go away. His hand was placed on my cheek as he lent in to kiss me. His kiss was like the feeling on the first day of summer when all the worries you have had that year are wiped away, the feeling of liberation. He laid back down on the sofa and I rested my head on his chest once again.  

"I can't let you in all the way, Hales. You have to understand that. There's something I can't tell you. It's my darkness and I have to deal with it myself ."   

Harry said the words like it was the hardest thing he had ever done. He hugged me tighter as if he was afraid that I was going to go away as soon as the words had left his mouth. It was in that moment I realized Harry needed me as much as I needed him. I couldn't change him into something he wasn't and I didn't want to. I wanted Harry, the boy with the dimpled smile who sometimes had a twisted side. I wanted all of him, every part of him.  

"Okay", I said and kissed him. I wanted to kiss him like he had just kissed me. A kiss that washed away all the worries of the last year. A kiss that tasted like summer.